Overhead DVD Player on 2017 Pathfinder S

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

rcrespo

Overhead DVD Player on 2017 Pathfinder S

Postby rcrespo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 am

Hi all,

I am hoping someone here can help me with this. I'd like to install an overhead DVD player on my 2017 Pathfinder S. This is typically fairly easy to do but I noticed the car does not have a center dome light which is where the overhead DVD secures to the mounting plate (it has a purely plain roof headliner). I went to a local shop and they told me they would have to remove the entire headliner to somehow install a reinforcement before being able to secure the overhead DVD to the roof. Of course this is very costly and am looking to see if anyone here has had this issue and what did you do.

Before am asked, here are the main reasons why I want an overhead DVD instead of an iPad, headrest mount, or portable DVD player:

- I'd like for the 3rd row occupants to be able to also watch the movies (only doable from overhead DVD). I had this on my prior SUV and it was a life-savior on long trips. I can also safely leave the car without having to store/hide it.
- The S trim comes with cloth seats, which I don't mind at all, but every headrest mounted DVD I've seen comes wrapped in Leather...don't think it would look good as a combination
- I have tons of already purchased kids movies in DVDs, if I go with simple universal mount for an iPad, I'd have to purchase tons of movies ($$$)
- Portable headrest-mounted DVD players are an option but this means charging cables all over the place and again, only 1-2 connected. Also to this point, the S trim does not come with standard 12v outlet on the middle row...I know...that was a "great" choice Nissan! Also, means taking them down and storing them to avoid break-ins which ultimately would end up costing me more.
- Lastly, portable handheld DVDs are not yet an option I can give to my 2 year old toddler with baseball complex (likes to throw things every now and then, so it could land on the floor at anytime)

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:54 am

You will have to remove the headliner (at least partially) in order to wire the unit anyway, won't you? Where do you plan to wire it from?

rcrespo

Postby rcrespo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 am

That's correct but is usually a small opening from one of the side to check out the area ans then a cut on the desired section of the roof liner to put the DVD's mouting plate. The challenge is that I was told by one shop there was no real good support area under the headliner (the guy didn't even opened the side) and I'f have to go for the headrest mount DVDs. The electricity can always be taken from the front map lights. I was hoping someone on the forum would know if this is doable. I even went to the dealer yesterday (for a different reason) and asked but nobody seemed to know either.

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:12 pm

It's tough with the "S" because they really stripped it down. You may need to drill through the roof to support your installation. I'm not sure any schematics exist as to where the cross braces are.

Return to “R52 Electrical”