Opinion on Transmission Fluid Color

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

AndrewT

Opinion on Transmission Fluid Color

Postby AndrewT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:50 am

Hi guys,

I have a 2006 Pathfinder 2wd with radiator part # 21460 9CAD0E. The transmission fluid looks clear/reddish/brown. Certainly not bright red like new. Truck has about 112k miles with unknown service history on the transmission.

It drives perfectly fine, not hard shifts, up shifts fine when slowing down.

http://imgur.com/a/cO1XI

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 am

The part # you gave has too many digits for a Nissan part #. You probably have "21460-9CA2E." This would be a replacement radiator in a 2006; the original radiator was likely a 21460-EA215. It seems the cooler issue was fixed sometime under this part #, but there have been a few reported failures with radiators that have this # so it makes it hard to say whether you can rest easy or not.
As far as the fluid, that's typical for NissanMatic Type "J" or "S" ATF. While it pours out of the bottle a dark red color, it usually looks an almost gray color when you check it or drain it for service. As long as it doesn't show any signs streaks of white or strawberry colored custard, you're good. Those that service their trans fluid with Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF grdually see the fluid turning to a more conventional red ATF color, usually after the second service.

AndrewT

Postby AndrewT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Cool, thanks! I actually ended up doing the bypass anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Is Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF recommended? I was going to do a fluid change because I don't know the service history on this truck and would like to start fresh. I won't be doing a full flush, just dropping the pan, changing the filter, and putting in new fluid.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF is compatible with NissanMatic "J" and "S" ATF; I have over 200,000 combined miles using Valvoline Maxlife in my two R51 Pathys and a lot of other people use it, too. Castrol Transmax Mulit-import ATF is also compatible (Castrol makes the transmission fluid for Nissan), among other synthetics. I like the Valvoline because I can get it in a 1-gallon container (which is the typical amount needed for a drain and fill) at Walmart for $18:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Ma ... n/15125768

There is no filter to change inside of the transmission. There is a screen, but it's not meant to be serviced, so there's no point in dropping the transmission pan. It has a drain plug and the gasket is the same as the engine oil pan drain plug gasket: Nissan 11026-01M02. Torque spec on the drain pan bolt is 25 ft/lbs.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”