License Plate Light

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

falcondrgn

License Plate Light

Postby falcondrgn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:12 am

Hello,

I refuse to believe that the easiest way to gain access to the license plate light is to remove all the interior panels on the rear hatch door. There has got to be an easier way to change those bulbs. Any ideas?

Npath

Re: License Plate Light

Postby Npath » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:23 am

falcondrgn wrote:Hello,

I refuse to believe that the easiest way to gain access to the license plate light is to remove all the interior panels on the rear hatch door. There has got to be an easier way to change those bulbs. Any ideas?
Flexable screwdriver. You may find one on Ebay.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:26 am

I have looked into something like this but it seems like the flexible tip part of the screwdriver would be too long to fit underneath the chrome trim covering the plate. Have u used something like this with success?

Npath wrote:

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:44 pm

falcondrgn wrote:I have looked into something like this but it seems like the flexible tip part of the screwdriver would be too long to fit underneath the chrome trim covering the plate. Have u used something like this with success?

Npath wrote:

No, but they look like they'd do the job, guess I'm wrong. I'm slowly looking for one in town, but not getting out of my own way for it.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:38 pm

I just used a long thin Craftsman and I got the screw out just fine. It doesn't hit perpendicular, but it is still was easy to get out. The small plastic housing then just pulls away from the hole and the socket is right there.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 am

What is a long thin craftsman? do u mean a long thin pliers from craftsman? Do you know how to disconnect the rear gas shocks from the inside since the service manual states that the shocks have to be disconnected to take apart the trim? Thanks so much for your reply.

08Datsun wrote:I just used a long thin Craftsman and I got the screw out just fine. It doesn't hit perpendicular, but it is still was easy to get out. The small plastic housing then just pulls away from the hole and the socket is right there.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:40 am

falcondrgn wrote:What is a long thin craftsman? do u mean a long thin pliers from craftsman? Do you know how to disconnect the rear gas shocks from the inside since the service manual states that the shocks have to be disconnected to take apart the trim? Thanks so much for your reply.
long thin screwdriver, made by craftsman.
probably an 8 or 9 inch screwdriver.

~mike

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:48 am

any screwdriver of any size doesnt fit behind the chrome trim covering the screws.........better question would probably be how did you get the chrome trim above the license plate off? Thanks

MonkeyMike wrote:
falcondrgn wrote:What is a long thin craftsman? do u mean a long thin pliers from craftsman? Do you know how to disconnect the rear gas shocks from the inside since the service manual states that the shocks have to be disconnected to take apart the trim? Thanks so much for your reply.
long thin screwdriver, made by craftsman.
probably an 8 or 9 inch screwdriver.

~mike

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:37 am

Yeah, just a long but thin phillips screwdriver. I went out to check it myself just because of the above posts. If you can't get to it, there must be some differences in the bezels between models and years. Perhaps there was a change for '08.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 am

hmmm, i think there must have been a difference, does the chrome trim on the hatch door cover the lights and screws on the 08 models?

08Datsun wrote:Yeah, just a long but thin phillips screwdriver. I went out to check it myself just because of the above posts. If you can't get to it, there must be some differences in the bezels between models and years. Perhaps there was a change for '08.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:22 pm

Yep.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Then shouldn't it be the same? bc that is the case for the 05's as well.
08Datsun wrote:Yep.

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 pm

falcondrgn wrote:Then shouldn't it be the same? bc that is the case for the 05's as well.
The chrome trim on the 08 models are pretty much the same. I'll bet the only difference is the way the screw is angled. I'll be at a dealership tomorrow and I'll take a look.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Great thanks so much. Im still trying to change my license plate lights to no avail and the dealerships are idiots. All they said was if u cant take it out from the back then u gotta take apart the panels.

Npath wrote:
falcondrgn wrote:Then shouldn't it be the same? bc that is the case for the 05's as well.
The chrome trim on the 08 models are pretty much the same. I'll bet the only difference is the way the screw is angled. I'll be at a dealership tomorrow and I'll take a look.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:13 pm

Well there must be some difference as I reached it no problem. Is the screw to the side of the lens? Perhaps the '08's are mounted lower in the bezel?

I used to have a cheap screw driver in the shape of an "S" with one side having a flat blade and a phillips on the other. I bet something like that could snake up there to get to it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”