Rear diff cover

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

Rear diff cover

Postby labsy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi,

is it really necessary to drop the rear diff in order to open diff cover and to clear clogged breather hose?

I have clogged breather hose, so each time I dip into water mud is sucked into diff and I need to change oil. So I thought I would open rear diff cover, try to unclog breather lines and clean diff interior with brake cleaner.
But my Nissan dealer says rear diff needs to be dropped for the procedure.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:59 pm

I would think it would need to be drop considering there are two mounting studs coming out of the cover that insert into the holes of the crossmember behind it. I know a lot of those who off-road run a longer hose to the diff vent and put a small filter at the opening. Behind the rear tail lamp is a common location to relocate the end of the hose.

labsy

Postby labsy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 pm

That's excellent info...about alternate breather hose location. Will do the seal replacement now, just to be on safe side for vacation trip few 1000 miles away. Then will take some time with breather hose after I get back.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”