Rims & Performance upgrade info

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cane

Rims & Performance upgrade info

Postby cane » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi

my pathy is only a few months old - a 2008 black LE 4wd - pretty much stock fitted hid lights & tint - the essentials for Dubai!

I want to get some nice rims & upgrade the performance so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
The nismo cold intake system sounds good but I've seen some not so positive reviews here after upgrading to k&n or nismo systems etc.
Also anyone else based in the UAE hollar back!

Cheers
Cane :D

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:57 pm

regarding CAI's most really don't get the gains wanted unless the car is "chipped". you might wanna put an exhaust on it, and while you're at it headers too.

cane

Postby cane » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi Gimmie,

Cheers for the info - pathfinders seem to be the hardest suv's to find rims for - especially here in the UAE.

What's the deal with getting some nice 20 black rims - what are the pro's & cons' - I really like the ride as it is stock & I saw some pretty bad feedback ( rough feel etc ) after upgrading the rims.
I was even considering getting my stock LE rims powder coated but not sure if this is a good idea.

Thanks for any help :)

Npath

Postby Npath » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:22 pm

cane wrote:Hi Gimmie,

Cheers for the info - pathfinders seem to be the hardest suv's to find rims for - especially here in the UAE.

What's the deal with getting some nice 20 black rims - what are the pro's & cons' - I really like the ride as it is stock & I saw some pretty bad feedback ( rough feel etc ) after upgrading the rims.
I was even considering getting my stock LE rims powder coated but not sure if this is a good idea.

Thanks for any help :)
I was at a Kal-Tire less than 2 weeks ago and they got lots of wheels for 05+ Pathfinders. Must have been at least 20 choices to pick from when I went on their computer seeing what would look good.

Don't know the pros and cons of getting 20" wheels, but I recall someone fitting 22" rims? Had lots of problems and finally figured out what worked best. Only negative thing I can think of is getting too big of a rim may damage the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system).

You may be able to see the selection of wheels on the internet, kaltire.ca or com.

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:08 am

Hey Cane, im from the UAE as well..How did you manage to get the HID lights?? Ive got a 08 as well but they didnt have any HID on any of the options list..Is it after market?? Im very much interested in putting one on if its factory fitted.

Because from what i know, the standard pathy reflectors or any other vehicle for that matter which is made for standard halogen lights, dont seem to reflect the HIDs that well , it gives it a kinda scattered effect rather than having a more focused beam for example like what toy find on a lexus or merc that have factory fitted HID.

cane

Postby cane » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Coom,

I got the japanese hid set fitted on my fogs & main beam, in Sharjah.
I know what you mean about the focused beam but I couldn't find many places that had much choice.
too be honest my fogs are so bright I only need those most of the time.
I have had a few passers by comment on my hids with good feedback & so far much better than stock halogen setup.

there is a pic of my hids here.
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1450

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 pm

for the most part going with the larger wheels will give you a different feel and ride for the pathfinder. make sure you get a rim that is strong but not too strong where they'll crack on you when you hit a bump on your lower profile tires!

as for your HID's did you put them in the stock housings or are they crystal projectors?

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi cane,
Not bad lookin lights, but did this do anything for your warranty, cos i know they are very picky..They even said if i change the oil anywhere else, the warranty would be void. :)

The pathy does have some good power and im sure it could outrun most mid size vehicles that crowd our cities trying to tailgate!!i know i have :D
One more thing, before you change the intake have you done the research regarding the filteration of an after market system in this part of the world, UAE gets very dusty!! Also if you dont mind me askin where are you getting it done from and again what happens to your warranty if you do end up changing the exhaust and the intake??

sorry me not being very helpful cos like you know we got very limited choices for our vehicles in terms of after market systems in this part of the world.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:02 am

Adding 20" wheels will only hurt your performance ... unless you pay huge $$ and get something super light .... Basically adding weight to the wheels will hurt the performance of the vehicle ... I suggest keeping your 18's or getting a lighter weight 18" wheel ... I am running the stock '05-'07 LE wheels , weigh about the same as the stock 16"s and run a Performance tire 275-65-VR17 ..... it still drives like new but handles alot better and does not hinder the strait line performance of a big 20" wheel ...

nvrdun

Postby nvrdun » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:50 pm

I have 20" on my 05 Pathfinder. Ive had them on since 06 and take them off in the winter.

TPMS work fine on the 20's
The only real performance drop ive noticed is a 2-5 mpg drop.

Other than that the pathfinder feels just as lively with the 20's as it did with the stock 16's.

cane

Postby cane » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:34 am

Hey Coom,

I guess thats the official policy nissan will adopt but its only a matter of changing bulbs - half hour max to change back.
I have my original bulbs so other than that for now I'm not too fussed.

Still not sure about the rims - I sure like the feel as they are with the stock 17's - I thought the all black look might look coool so maybe powder coating the stock rims might be the answer.

The Armarda stock rims are pretty nice - I've seen them in dark grey on the LE models - does anyone have any info on whether these would fit the pathfinder ?

bigriver

Postby bigriver » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Volant cai is worth the $. nice low end and good responsiveness. i also have the Superchips cortex tuner as well.

BryanCelyn

Postby BryanCelyn » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Cane, I know that you're in the UAE, but for us folks in the states, our warranty rights are protected by the Magnuson Moss warranty protection act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act). If you change out your headlights for HIDs, and the transmission falls out, Nissan can't "void" your warranty.

Just because they say that it is their policy doesn't make it legal. Know your rights!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”