rear tow.hook?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NYPathfinder

rear tow.hook?

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:33 pm

Buddy of mine got his truck stuck.in some deep snow. So I had to pull him out. Only problem was I didn't see anywhere to connect the strap.to. I ended up putting it on the ball on the hitch which probly wasn't a smart move. .is there a hook.under there I just didn't see? Hell I don't remember seeing one in the front when I was last under there.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 pm

has both front and rear.

in the front there is a hook just under the bumper on the left side if ur standing in front of it (mines on the right cause i shifted it to fit the bash plate)

in the rear, there is an eye-hook under the bumper on the left side as well (if youre standing behind it) cant see it in this pic, but its just there beside the tyre.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 am

I keep a draw bar with a 3/4" shackle instead of a ball on it in the back with the jack. When I need it, I can insert it into the receiver and I'm ready to go. I was afraid to use the one in the back that Mar1 pointed out. The strap would really get into the plastic bumper cover.

As for the front, mine did not come with any either, but I bought two of them from Nissan. They only have right side hook, but it will work on the left side with a little trimming on the splash shield and also looks kinda funny.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:03 pm

thanks mar1. I saw the rear tow hook. But i dont not have a front tow hook on my pathy for some reason. If i did i would have been able to get pulled out instead of shoveling with an ice scraper lol.

richardekirby- thats a very good idea. I may jusy have to copy you and try something similiar.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:17 am

would i be better off with a d-ring or a hook? Once again last nite i had to pull somone out of the snow and put it around the ball since i dont have a front tow hook and the rear one is up to high and would put a lot of stress on the bumper.IM ordering 2 front tow hooks once i can get to the dealer.Im thinking for my use the hook would be better since the tow strap i have has loops on both ends.
examples:
d-ring
http://www.jcwhitney.com/receiver-hitch ... ilterid=j1

hook
http://www.jcwhitney.com/tow-hook-ball- ... ilterid=j1

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 am

Is the concern with using the rear ball hitch that the rope/chain will come off? I have a 1.5" rope with a loop in it, and a hook on the other side. I have never had a problem with slippage, and it works like a charm!

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:52 am

disallow wrote:Is the concern with using the rear ball hitch that the rope/chain will come off? I have a 1.5" rope with a loop in it, and a hook on the other side. I have never had a problem with slippage, and it works like a charm!
Yes the strap popping off. I've also heard some stories from a few jeep guys that the ball snaps and sends it flying.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:40 pm

I have a strap with 3/4 " shackles on both ends. I hook 1 end into the loop on the hitch that the safety chains hook to, loop the strap around the hitch draw bar & hook the other clevis to the stuck vehicle. Works like a charm & I've never had the strap come loose. I do put an old blanket on the strap mid way between the vehicles to dampen the strap if it should brake.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 pm

does anyone have the part number for the front tow hooks? i remember seeing them posted but cant seem to find them.

edit: nevermind found them..

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:47 pm

you don't have to buy it from 4wheelparts.com, but this is for the rear recovery point.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-and- ... &t_pl=1858

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:13 pm

fat_frog wrote:you don't have to buy it from 4wheelparts.com, but this is for the rear recovery point.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-and- ... &t_pl=1858
Yeah, my buddy had one of those on the rear of his Grand Cherokee last weekend when we were out wheeling. It was very clean looking and did not stick out as far as mine. I'll probably sacrifice an old draw bar and make one.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:30 pm

I ended up choosing the hook.
I've used it a few times already. Pulled out my.buddies jeep that was stuck in a mud pit.

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:00 am

The UK pathy's are stingy with the rescue hooks, so fitted another on the drivers side....

But id like a better set up on the rear of the car. Yes there is a loop underneath on the nearside, right under the car, but no-one seems to have designed a modded setup to bolt on.

Ive a Bosal swaneck towbar i could use but its designed to tow a trailer maybe not pull the car backwards? It bolts to the rear crossbar. Like this..

I modded the diagram with the torque settings for a printout in my service manual, and also for here on the forum an arrow for good shackle placement???

The towbar ( 4 ) isnt square so not sure if could be swapped for a shackle bar like you guys fit?

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:16 am

This what I did today....

I ordered 2 6000kgs swivel shackles
and 2 6000kgs D-Shackles

Then set to the tow bar as they shackles wouldn't fit with the top rings....

ImageTowbar rescue mod

The bottom hole is where i want the shackles

Swan neck out and grinder out the toolbox.....

ImageTowbar rescue mod

Both now fit snug.

ImageTowbar rescue mod

ImageTowbar rescue mod

With D shackle for chain or rope. Figure that jointing them will keep some strength.

ImageTowbar rescue mod

The marine ring is there to attach rope etc when putting stuff on the roof bars.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”