Squealing belt/pulley at idle or low rpm

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Xave_4x4

Squealing belt/pulley at idle or low rpm

Postby Xave_4x4 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:45 am

A have an 07 le Pathfinder and I think either the belt itself or a pulley off of the serpentine constantly squeals no matter how long I let it idle and still squeals after driving. Serpentine was recently replaced and I had this problem on a previous pathy. Is it the serpentine again or something else? Super annoying and would appreciate any help

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:15 pm

My 06 did this. I changed the belt, but still had a slight squeak.

I replaced the tensioner with an AC Delco one and no problems since.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Nissan released a technical service bulletin for this problem. There are two parts to this. One is replace the serpentine belt with an updated belt AND the belt tensioner assembly. The updated belt is 10MM shorter, which creates more tension on the belt. The OE parts are made by Gates for Nissan in North America, so, rather than spend a lot of money on genuine Nissan parts with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty, you can get Gates component kit # 38378K for $43+shipping from Rockauto.com. The Gates kit has a limited lifetime warranty and comes with both the tensioner and the updated size belt.
The other part of the TSB is to check the P/S pump alignment and goes into detail about how to check it and adjust, if necessary.
If interested, the TSB is # NTB06-072a.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 am

I used a gates and did not have good luck , the squeal came back after 20k miles and I did have the updated tensioner. Went with a Dayco belt and so far no squeal.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 pm

twinblown wrote:I used a gates and did not have good luck , the squeal came back after 20k miles and I did have the updated tensioner. Went with a Dayco belt and so far no squeal.
They didn't update the tensioner, but tensioner replacement is recommended when a new belt is installed. What they did update was the size of the belt; they made it 10MM shorter, which creates more tension on the belt.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 pm

[/quote]They didn't update the tensioner[/quote]
I thought they did since the TSB called for a new part number for the tensonier

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 pm

twinblown wrote:
They didn't update the tensioner[/quote]
I thought they did since the TSB called for a new part number for the tensonier[/quote]

Possibly. I just get the Gates "Enhancement Kit" from Rockauto and call it a day. It has a limited lifetime warranty, which I already used once when the tensioner pulley bearing developed a squeak at 50,000 miles. Just order the replacement kit, swap them out, get discounted return shipping label and drop it off at the post office. Simple! It's the OE parts, same as in the TSB, but a fraction of the price for the genuine Nissan parts and a better warranty.

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 am

I have got the upgraded belt and new tensioner which lasted about 15, 000 miles. Then had to do timing chains so I check the alignment of the power steering pulley which was good. Then bought another upgraded belt and pulley and the squeal came back. I have a nissan master tech friend that helped/did the timing chains and pulley alignment. So I keep a spare belt and deal with the noise now.

weaver

Postby weaver » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:57 pm

I just installed the gates kit (tensioner and belt) from Rock Auto, pn GAT 38378K. The fit on the fan mounting bracket seemed a little too "open to interpretation" for my liking; even with the locating pin, it could move around more than seemed normal. I centered it the best I could, we'll see. The spring tension should negate the mounting play concern. (I do over think things). Might have to move it around if it squawks. I don't have her ready to run yet so I don't know how well it'll do. I'll update after things are buttoned up and some miles are on it. 15,000 miles sucks, almost as bad as as DuraLAST junk. I won't go off on that :evil: at this time tho.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”