Shark Fin Antenna

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

eruby

Shark Fin Antenna

Postby eruby » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:40 am

I would love to replace my AM/FM/Satellite rubber antenna for a Shark Fin type antenna like the one below. Is there one available on the market that will give me good reception? I've seen some on eBay that has some sort of wire that screws into the antenna base and tapes over the existing base. Anyone use one of these? OK with Satellite or is that a different antenna? How's the reception? I think the Infinity has one but buying from Nissan is expensive.

eruby

Postby eruby » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:41 pm

2/22/2019: From another form, I was given this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/l4gLrqSonMk. I did ask my questions to the guy on YouTube. His reply was:

"The rubber pole antenna is for sat (XM) only. The AM/FM antenna is integrated into the window. So this shark fin does not affect AM/FM reception. Paint is holding up fine, and same for double sided tape."

He has had his on for over a year. I took the plunge and bought the one he had on his vid. Came in today and color matches dang close to my gun metallic gray. I am going to wait until it gets a little warmer to install it so the 3M tape sticks well. If it's only for Satellite Radio, I only have 1 more year left on my free subscription and wasn't planning on renewing so I should be good.

UPDATE 2/24/2019 with ~20,800 miles in odometer:
Short Term Review.
I installed the fin from https://youtu.be/l4gLrqSonMk today - 2/24/2019. It got up to 65* today so I followed the YouTube instructions. Very simple installation. Once in the bright sun, the color is very very close to a match but there is a lot of metal flake on the PF and none on the fin. I doubt anyone will notice. Also, this is a big fin. It probably has to because it covers the factory base. I don't think I would like this on a regular car but it doesn't look bad on the top of the PF. Initial reception test for AM/FM and SAT is the same as the rubber antenna. As of right now, I am very satisfied with this mod.

Return to “R52 Electrical”