Replacing the fuel injector, what do I need?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Free_Pathy

Replacing the fuel injector, what do I need?

Postby Free_Pathy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 pm

My neighbor just gave me his 1990 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. Tags are out of date, check engine light on, won't pass smog, and it has mice in it. But I really like it.

Took it to a mechanic to try and figure out what was wrong with it. The mechanic told me that cylinder #2 had a bad fuel injector and also that two of the hard to reach spark plugs had not been replaced. They quoted me $800 and I walked away.

I've decided to do the fuel injector myself since I have a mediocre amount of mechanical skill. I've read the Chilton manual on how to take it apart, but I noticed a lack of mention of parts that I will need. I would like to gather all the parts required before starting, so I was hoping you guys could help me out on that.

So when changing the fuel injector what does the parts list look like?

Gaskets?
Special grease/oil?
Rubber hoses?
Special tools?

So far I've only bought the fuel injector and the spark plugs. I'm hoping the fuel injector comes with the o-ring for itself. Also I'm not even sure what intake manifold gaskets I may need, just the uppers or the upper and lower? Too many parts, Not enough knowledge.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 pm

Personally, I would (and have done with my 03 Frontier, recently) replace them all with a set of remanufactured fuel injectors. Chances are the others probably aren't in the best of shape or their screens are getting clogged with dirt from over the years...and also keep in mind they are likely original and close to thirty years old! I would also replace the fuel filter at the same time. Most injectors will come with the "O" seals. There is also a spacer with a metal plate that sits on the top of the injector, below the fuel injector cover. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator since I had it all apart. You'll need a plenum gasket, which goes between the upper plenum and lower intake manifold. There are a couple of "elbow" coolant hoses at the back of the intake you may end up ruining trying to get the intake off; I would get them from the dealer. You'll need to drain some of the engine coolant. If you replace any fuel hoses, make sure you use 8mm fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. You should have an impact driver with a Phillips bit handy to help break loose the fuel injector cover screws without stripping them. Vaseline can be used on the fuel injector seals prior to installing. Carb cleaner can be used to soften stubborn fuel injector hoses (like those to the fuel filter or rail) and makes it easier to break them loose to remove. Be very careful with the EGR passage tube because they sometimes have part of the EGR valve break off inside the pipe nut and the passage pipes are obsolete. Soak it down with lots of rust penetrent!

Volter

Postby Volter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Not to ressurrect old threads but thank you for this advice, i was more scared than i needed to be but will now try this. Cheers!

Keith Noneya

Postby Keith Noneya » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Hey Volter how did it go? Make sure you down load the free manual on your vehicle, if you haven't. Keith Noneya

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”