TPMS Sensor Question - 2017 Rogue

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

viprit

TPMS Sensor Question - 2017 Rogue

Postby viprit » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi, I just bought a 2017 Rogue and one of my TPMS sensors seems to have a dead battery. The dealer I bought from initially thought it could be flashed and fixed but after they talked with Nissan they decided that it needed replaced instead. They mentioned that it's something only Nissan can do. Has anyone done this themselves? I have a mechanic friend I was thinking of asking but I'm unsure whether it can be done.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 pm

I've done it on R51 Pathfinders and A34 Maximas, myself, but I'm not sure if it's the same on a 2017 Rogue. I notice they went from 315mhz to 433mhz sensors. On the older Nissans, there was a TPMS diagnostic connector under the driver's side of the dash, not far from the OBD II port. It's often taped to the harness and it has a single wire going to a white, 2-pin connector. If you have that connector, you should be able to do it by yourself (and if not, most tire shops and many independent auto repair shops should be able to do it, as well). On the older ones, you run a ground to the TPMS diagnostic connector and turn the key on to read codes via the flashing TPMS warning light. Turning the key on and pulse grounding the wire 6X in 10 seconds would put the TPMS system in ID register mode. A TPMS trigger tool can be purchased for around $35 to wake new sensors out of sleep mode (if needed, some do and some don't) and to register the position. In ID register mode, one would put the trigger tool at the left-front tire, near the valve stem, and press the button on the tool. If the sensor registered, the hazard lights would flash. Next, one would move on to the right-front tire and do the same thing, followed by the right-rear and left-rear. When the procedure is complete, the key is turned off. Another method without the trigger tool is (and this would need to be done without any sensors in sleep mode) done by adjusting the tire pressures as follows: LF-36, RF-33, RR-30 and LR-27. TPMS system is put into IS register mode and the vehicle is driven over 25 MPH until the sensors are registered, which usually takes 5-10 minutes. Try doing a search on YouTube.

Return to “General Automotive”