Warning lights after replacing ignition switch

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Jimi7

Warning lights after replacing ignition switch

Postby Jimi7 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Great forum. I've spent the past 2 weeks doing a ton of deferred maintenance on my 2001 (145,000 miles) and have been referring to this and other Nissan sites. So far I've done the passenger side strut, brakes, axle, radiator and rear shocks. She's driving much better now. Just have the oil cooler o-rings and the drivers side axle, strut and brakes to go.

Any way I was getting intermittent starting, so I replaced the ignition switch last night. I fired up my Pathfinder and she started just fine and I figured all was good. I was driving today and I notice my A/T oil temp, parking brake and battery warning lights are all lite up now. I didn't check the dash after I replaced the ignition switch, so I'm not sure when the warning lights came on. I'm sure the charging system is okay and of course I'm not driving around with the parking brake on. Tried disconnecting the negative terminal to see if that would reset the warning lights, but that didn't work.

I was a little worried about the A/T oil temp warning since I did just change the radiator a few days ago, but there's plenty of fluid and I'm not getting any symptoms of an overheating tranny, fluid looks/smells good, no slippage or odd shifting. Since I know the parking brake and battery lights are bogus I'm 99% sure the A/T oil temp light is bogus too.

Has anybody experienced this before? Perhaps I got faulty switch or there is a connecter in the steering wheel that isn't connected properly. I'm hoping somebody else has experienced this before I go back into the steering wheel trying to figure this one out.

Thx,
Jimi

Jimi7

Postby Jimi7 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Ignore the previous post. My charging system definitely isn't working (11.75vdc at battery with car running). Back to the drawing board. :oops:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:15 pm

There should be a large fusible link (like 75, 80 or 100 amp) for the alternator. Make sure that isn't blown. If it's good and you are getting power to the "BAT" terminal on the back of the alternator...and assuming the drive belt is okay...then it's most likely the alternator, itself, that is bad.

Jimi7

Postby Jimi7 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Couldn't find a link, but I do have continuity between the Batt + and charging post. Thanks

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”