08 pathfinder, cold air intakes/high flow filters

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Cplmckay

08 pathfinder, cold air intakes/high flow filters

Postby Cplmckay » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:06 pm

New to the pathfinder, I use it as a daily driver and for work purposes, averaging 15 to 20 miles a day for work on top of a 28 mile commute (there and back is 28 ) looking to improve mainly on gas mileage, I'm not heavy footed and it's all city for work. So a couple mpg would be helpful on the wallet. I've heard cold air intakes and high flow filters can help, and give a little boost to power. Looking for input or other ways to help with the mpg.

Many thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 pm

On my 2006, I had installed an aFe Momentum GT cold air intake, installed Doug Thorley headers and mid-pipes (eliminating the rear converters) and replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow 2-IN/1-OUT muffler (eliminating the "Y"). I did notice any change in gas mileage and little, if any, change in performance. So, if you are looking to increase gas mileage, don't waste money on so-called "Hi-flow filters" nor aftermarket cold air intakes (the factory air intake IS actually a "cold air intake," anyway). The best thing you can do for gas mileage is to be easy and steady on the gas pedal, use cruise control as much as possible, keep it in good tune and keep the tires properly inflated.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”