15k maintenance

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

GimmieSumMo72

15k maintenance

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Well the Path is coming up on 14k and I decided to start planning for the 15k Maintenance.

I was thinking about taking it to the dealer but I've never had any good experience when I took my cars to the stealer for servicing. Actually I've never taken this one to the dealer for service ever!

I was wondering what do they check on the 15k service and what is a good price at the dealer for it? I'm in Central Jersey for anyone who can give me their experience or recommendations.

I bought her at Windsor Nissan by the way...

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm

How much do these services usually cost at the dealer?

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Normal Service 15K service on a '07 Path is basicaly an oil change, engine air filter, cabin filter change and check over .... shouldn't cost more than $100 .....Dealer may be a bit more ... dont let them try and sell you an oil flush, coolant flush or Injector flush .... I have seen these dealers gouging customers with these not recommended by OE services to make extra $$ ....

Inspect :

Brakes and Traction Control (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or every 12 months whichever occurs first. Inspect: Brake Lines and Cables, Brake Pads, Rotors, Drums & Linings.

Constant Velocity Joint Boot (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or every 12 months whichever occurs first.

Cruise Control Vacuum Hose (S) Notes

Drive/Propeller Shaft (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or 12 months whichever occurs first.

Fluid - A/T (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or every 12 months whichever occurs first. Inspect Automatic Transmission Fluid

Fluid - Differential (S) Notes

Fluid - M/T (S) Notes

Fluid - Transfer Case (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or 24 months whichever occurs first, if equipped.

Replace:

Cabin Air Filter (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or every 12 months whichever occurs first, if equipped.

Engine Oil (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or every 6 months whichever occurs first.

Oil Filter, Engine (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or every 6 months whichever occurs first.

Rotate
Tires (S) Notes
Perform at mileage interval or every 6 months whichever occurs first. When rotating tires, check for damage and uneven wear. Replace if necessary.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Wow! $100??? im sure it will be a bit more out here on the east coast then.

but thanks! as you can tell i hate going to the stealer. but since she's still under warranty i'll take her there every 15k. between i'll go to the local jiffy lube.

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 am

Let me put it this way...if you think you really need to do all that maintance, find an alternative way or do it your self.

Just my humble opinion.. :lol:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:24 pm

thetiger wrote:Let me put it this way...if you think you really need to do all that maintance, find an alternative way or do it your self.

Just my humble opinion.. :lol:
Learned my lesson on that today, took my 05 pf in because of the squeal at cold startup I've posted about.

They replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner, but that didn't fix it. $250 later. ($100 of parts) There is a TSB for updated tensioner, and they showed me that it was weak anyways, so I guess it needed to be done, but did not fix the problem.

When it still made the noise, I got the shop foreman to come listen. He showed me where the sound was coming from... the fan clutch, which is of a viscous engagement design. Basically when the viscous fluid is really cold (-15C and lower), it doesn't flow properly, and causes a problem with engagement of the fan clutch at startup. Once the fluid warms up, the noise goes away. He said this was 'normal operation' and that replacing the clutch would be costly, and may only fix the problem for a while.

From now on, I'm doing everything myself on this truck, cuz I coulda figured that out if I wasn't so damn lazy, (and it wasn't so damn cold!)

t

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:32 am

i really prefer to do it myself... but since its still under warranty i thought i'd take it to the stealer for the 15k and 30k (maybe not the 30k) service.

We average about 8k a year on the car.

On my other cars we always go to the indy shop if I can't do it myself.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:03 pm

holy crap!

it just cost me $300 for the 15k service!

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:06 pm

I just did this myself on my '08. For 15k, its essentially just an oil change an the in-cabin filter. It cost me $97 using Mobil 1 and an oil filter and microfilter from the local dealer. I did my rear diff also for another $20 using Redline synthetic, even though it wasn't on the list. However, the magnet was full of ferrous goop so its something I'd recommend.

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:20 am

hey guys i could use some advice.

i just took my '08 4x4 pathy in for 15k maintenance. the stealer said that they usually only do a tire rotation and oil filter/lube job. given the fact that i put on about 1000 miles per week (give or take about 300m), should i get a more thorough job done? :?

the timing chain, diff oil, and joint inspections come to mind. but im really pretty new to the whole new car thing and don't know if these things (and perhaps others) are necessary. ive always owned late model sedans that i could pretty much drive with no worries. i dont want to get raped by the stealer, but also want to do whats best for my pathy.

also, when should i switch to synthetic oil (if at all)? i get regular oil changes every 3k miles.

this forum rocks and im doing research on getting a beefed up suspension to prep for a schrockworks front bumper, rock sliders, and armor. :D :D :D

any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

thanks in advice in advance for any responses.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Sven - make sure they changed that cabin air filter. Ours was absolutely disgusting. As far as extra stuff, that's really up to you. We use ours pretty hard so I do a little extra maintenance.

As far as the synthetic oil, that's one of those hot button issues people like to argue about. I use it in my Maxima which has a VQ30. It now has 150k, doesn't burn a drop and runs perfect. Of course maybe it would run just a fine if I had used Dino oil, who knows. We tend to drive out vehicles till the wheels fall off, so I give them every chance to last a little longer.

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:54 am

thanks Datsun =]

im gonna take a look at whats involved in changing the cabin air filter and probably "try" to do it myself. with a good enough manual and the correct tools it shouldnt be that difficult (unless im totally wrong... lol).

i drive the crap out of my pathy and fully intend to drive her until she can't :)

thanks again =]

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:23 am

Sven - the microfilter is easy. Here's a link.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... icrofilter

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:00 pm

thanks again Datsun =]

i'll dig up a part number and continue in my efforts to give as little of my money to the local stealer as possible :-)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”