Which TPMS Sensor Should I Buy?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

AndrewT

Which TPMS Sensor Should I Buy?

Postby AndrewT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:58 am

I'm replacing all four tires and have at least one (if not more) dead TPMS sensors, causing the fault light to come on in the dash. OEM TPMS sensors are a bit spendy, but I'd like to have a reliable system....does anyone have any suggestions?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 am

i was facing this exact same dilemma 6 months ago.

In the end I told Mr Tire to go with whatever their "mid range" is.
Not the cheapest but not the most expensive option.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:01 am

I bought a cheap set of ebay for around $60 for all 4. Two years later one stopped working. This time I bought an external TPMS system that goes on the outside of each wheel. It comes with a display that you plug into a cigarette socket. I like it because I actually see all 4 tire levels. So far over 6 months and happy. Cost around $65 for everything though there are cheaper versions Search for Car Wireless TPMS

What I bought.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3197152662
Whats nice is you can take these with you to another car or set of wheels.

Keep in mind you tire warning will still be lit

AndrewT

Postby AndrewT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:46 pm

I went with the ACDELC TPMS175K. ~$30/each...so definitely not the most expensive but not the cheapest by a long shot. Hopefully this fixes the TPMS warning light...I'm so tired of it being on for the past year.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm

I use Dorman Direct-fit TPMS sensors from Rockauto.com. They run about $35 each but they have a lifetime warranty. When one goes bad, just order a new one and return the old (you'll get charged for the new one but refunded when they get the old one). FYI, the brand Nissan uses is Schrader.

You can find cheap sets of TPMS sensors on Ebay, but don't buy them! Often they are new but really old and the batteries are sometimes dead when you get them or don't last very long. The retailer will send you an new one if it's within 30 days, but you'll still have to fork out the $25-$35 to get the sensor installed and tire re-balanced. Not worth the hassle!

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Look into the external TPMS as I mentioned. You get to see the actual tire pressure of all 4 and its an easy install

ALO604

TPMS new

Postby ALO604 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:05 am

I have a new set of wheels and would like to put new TPMS. There are so many available on amazon and other online sites. Is it required to use an OEM sensor? Should I be looking for a specific type or frequency??

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:29 pm

i use whatever tire rack sells. $42 each. almost 2 years later and they still work.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: TPMS new

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 pm

ALO604 wrote:I have a new set of wheels and would like to put new TPMS. There are so many available on amazon and other online sites. Is it required to use an OEM sensor? Should I be looking for a specific type or frequency??
You'll need a 315 mHz frequency TPMS sensor. Rockauto has some options. Schrader mades the OE part. Denso is a good option, but a little pricey, but not as pricey as genuine Nissan. Best bang for the buck is probably Standard Motor Parts/Intermotor, which carry a 3-year warranty. Dorman sensors are okay and carry a limited lifetime warranty, but I usually don't see more than 4 years out of them, at best. Make sure they are direct-fit sensors, as they sell universal sensors, as well, that require a tool to program them before installation...and I'm not talking about the ID registration process which initializes the sensor to the vehicle.

Be careful of TPMS sensors from Ebay. I purchased a set of "new" Schrader TPMS sensors from Ebay years ago that were dirt cheap. It turns out they were old sensors going by the manufacturer date stamped on them and two of them had dead batteries when I got them. There are also a lot of counterfeit parts on Ebay, so "buyer beware."

ALO604

TPMS programmimg

Postby ALO604 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:53 am

2010 Pathfinder. Will replacement sensors register themselves to the ECM once activated? Or is a programming tool required to the numbers into the ECM?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: TPMS programmimg

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 pm

ALO604 wrote:2010 Pathfinder. Will replacement sensors register themselves to the ECM once activated? Or is a programming tool required to the numbers into the ECM?
If one or more new TPMS sensors are replaced, they will all have to be ID registered to the TPMS control unit, which is built into the BCM. Sensors come two ways: ready to program or in "sleep mode." If the sensor you choose needs to woke-up out of sleep mode, a TPMS trigger tool is needed to do that. While not needed for the ID register process, the trigger tool does make it a lot easier and quicker and it's not expensive:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EL-50448-TPM ... gLQPfD_BwE

There is a TPMS diagnostic connector near the OBD II diagnostic port which has a single wire going to a white, 2-pin connector; it may be taped to the harness under the dash with blue electrical tape. You can use a bent paper clip or, like me, a pin and a lead wire with alligator clips on the end, to put the TPMS system in diagnostic mode or ID register mode.

If you ground the connector and turn the key "on," the TPMS warning lamp will flash trouble codes. If you turn the key "on" and ground the connector 6 times in 10-seconds, it will go into ID register mode. With the trigger tool, start at the left-front wheel and put the trigger tool next to the valve stem and press the button on the tool. If it registers, the exterior lights will flash. If the lights don't flash, you may have a dead sensor and you won't be able to complete the process. Once the left-front is done, continue the procedure at the right-front, right-rear and left-rear, in that order. When done, turn the key "off."
If you don't have a trigger tool, you will have to adjust the tire pressures as such: left-front, 36 psi; right-front, 33 psi; right-rear, 30 psi; left-rear, 27 psi. Put the system into ID register mode, as described earlier. The TPMS warning light should be flashing. Drive the vehicle over 25 MPH until the warning light stops flashing and stays "on" steady. Stop the car and inflate the tires to spec.
There are plenty of YouTube vids on the procedure. Just search for Nissan TPMS sensor relearn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOaoFCSVtQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-lI3_MDmlI

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”