New wheels for my 2012 S model 4x4 (bought.. now new tires)

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

TNhunter

New wheels for my 2012 S model 4x4 (bought.. now new tires)

Postby TNhunter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:25 pm

I've been searching for a while for some new wheels for my model S 4x4.

I'm looking at these Mayhem 17" Warrior Wheels dual-drilled 17x9 6x4.5/6x5.5 18mm offset Matte Black:

I'm also thinking about going with some 18" takeoffs from a Nissan Frontier midnight edition:

If I go with the Mayhem wheels I'd go with 265/65r17 tires.

If I go with the Nissan midnight takeoffs I'd go with 265/60r18 tires.

Any recommendations as far as how these will perform as far as ride, comfort, and control of the vehicle?

UPDATE:

I bought the Nissan midnight edition take-offs. Now I'm searching for new tires (and TPMS sensors) to use. I've always used Michelin tires and told people I work with that if I ever bought anything but a Michelin they were to immediate hit me in the mouth. That being said... I'm leaning toward wanting to go with an all-terrain tire this time instead of a Michelin Defender/LTX tire. I'll probably stick with the stock tire size for the 18" wheels...... 265/60r18, but could maybe do a 265/65r18.

BF Goodrich KO2
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10
Cooper Discoverer AT3

Any recommendations?

And I’d like to get 24 new lug nuts for these wheels - what recommendations do you have?
Last edited by TNhunter on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:20 am

The factory 18" wheels with the stock size tires have a shorter sidewall, obviously, compared to the factory 17" wheels with stock size tires. Of course, the type and model of tire will affect ride, traction, handling and length of service, but generally speaking, the larger wheel with the shorter sidewall will usually provide for better handling at the expense of comfort.

The factory 17" wheels are 17x7.5 with a 30MM offset, compared to the Mayhem's 17x9 with the 18MM offset. I would have some concern the the factory sized, 265/65R17 tires might not be wide enough for the 1.5" wider, Mayhem wheels, and if the difference in offset might be an issue if you go to a larger tire. My suggestion would be that if you choose to go with the Mayhem wheels, that you talk to a tire expert, like the folks at Tirerack.com, about what tire would work best with your combination of wheel and vehicle.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”