2004 Pathfinder Slip Yoke

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Preacher

2004 Pathfinder Slip Yoke

Postby Preacher » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:50 pm

I was giving a 2004 Pathfinder with some issues. I got it towed home to find that the lower trailing arm on the driver's side was broken and the drive shaft pulled out from the transfer case (possible from someone attempting to pull the truck from the rear. I removed the driveshaft and found that the end of the slip yoke was bent. I replaced the lower trailing arms on both sides and turned my attention to the driveshaft. I got one from a local salvage yard and (eye-balling it) it is exactly like the driveshaft I took off the truck. The problem is that I can't get it to slide onto the splines in the transfer case. I notice when I look at the splines on the slip yoke that there are 2 cutouts on opposite sides, but looking at the transfer case splines, I can't see matching cut-outs. Am I missing something? Is there something I need to line up before the driveshaft will just slide on?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:27 am

They usually slide right in, but sometimes you have to turn the driveshaft a little to get it to engage. Was it from the same year Pathfinder?

Preacher

Postby Preacher » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:10 am

smj999smj wrote:They usually slide right in, but sometimes you have to turn the driveshaft a little to get it to engage. Was it from the same year Pathfinder?
I'm assuming it is since that is what I told the salvage yard.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”