brake problems after crash

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

josem

brake problems after crash

Postby josem » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I was recently involved in a car accident. In a traffic light, the driver behind me collided my pathfinder. Because of the impact my entire body moved forward and I pressed the brake pedal very hard.

Since then I have problems with my path, in which the front calipers cling to the disk. When I turn off the pathfinder the calipers release. But once I turn it on, they come back to lock up.

At this point I don't really know what's the problem.

Could be the Brake booster, brake pump or ABS module???

Anyone had this issue before:?: :?: :?:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:18 am

Well, when the engine is running, vacuum is applied to the booster whereas it's not when the engine is not running. Considering what you say, it's possible, I would assume, that something inside the booster may have been damaged. I would definitely take a look, at least, at the brake pedal assembly, the brake pedal rod and booster for any signs of damage, although you probably won't be able to see much with the booster, itself. You might try disconnecting the vacuum hose from the booster and plugging it to see if there's any difference, for testing purposes.

josem

Postby josem » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:50 pm

I did not have time yet to work on it, but tomorrow thats one of the first test im going to do.

Thanks a lot.

josem

Postby josem » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:17 am

A simple screw missaligment, in brake pedal assembly.

The screw that make contact with the brakelight sensor was a little out and does not allows the brake pedal to come all the way back.

Thanks, thank God was a cheap repair.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”