Buying R51 for towing travel trailer

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

bevinb

Buying R51 for towing travel trailer

Postby bevinb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi, new to the forum, but have read much helpful info already on towing. I plan to buy a Pathfinder specifically for towing a small travel trailer. 18 to 23 feet, likely on the shorter end of that since just for the two of us and of course I will buy an ultra light. We will be doing significant amount of towing in the mountains. So my question is should I go for the V8? One came up for sale in my area and they seem quite rare, is it worth it for what I plan? They say the pulled a 26 foot Jayco with it, 6500 lbs wet. Maybe I don't want it, that sounds like a little too much....

anyhow, thanks for any help

Bevin B

Edmonton, AB

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 pm

The V8 will give you some added power, but the V6 will do the job. I would recommend installing Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear and a weight distributing hitch if you are going that heavy.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:11 am

How heavy is your trailer going to be? Are you only using the Pathfinder to tow or will you be driving it other times? I went with the V6 because we use it as our family vehicle and as smj said, the V6 gets the job done. I didn't want to pay for all the extra gas for the V8. If I was doing a significant amount of mountain towing the V8 would be nice, but only necessary if your over 5K lbs in my opinion.

6500 isn't too much for the V8. It's rated for 7k and the engine is capable of far more being the same engine a the Titan / Aramada.

kaktus

Re: Buying R51 for towing travel trailer

Postby kaktus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:32 am

I towed a 26' travel trailer with my v8 pathfinder. It had about the same weight of 6500 pounds when loaded. It really wasn't that great of a experience. The pathfinder gear ratio is not good for towing. I installed the airlift bags on my pathfinder as well but I still needed it to be stiffer in the rear. I actually blew a airbag but luckily they sent me a replacement as they have a lifetime warranty. Without the airbags that much weight will crush your rear suspension down. The suspension is just not good enough to tow that much weight comfortably. Is it possible? Yes it is. Would I recommend it no I would not. We really need a bigger vehicle with a longer and wider wheel base to help stabilize the trailer.
bevinb wrote:Hi, new to the forum, but have read much helpful info already on towing. I plan to buy a Pathfinder specifically for towing a small travel trailer. 18 to 23 feet, likely on the shorter end of that since just for the two of us and of course I will buy an ultra light. We will be doing significant amount of towing in the mountains. So my question is should I go for the V8? One came up for sale in my area and they seem quite rare, is it worth it for what I plan? They say the pulled a 26 foot Jayco with it, 6500 lbs wet. Maybe I don't want it, that sounds like a little too much....

anyhow, thanks for any help

Bevin B

Edmonton, AB

ZPOC RDY

Postby ZPOC RDY » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:01 am

I've been looking at trailers for a while and finding something I can use with my family hasn't been too difficult for the weight capacity. However, I'm having a hard time finding something with a max tongue weight of 600 lbs. I'm not experienced towing a trailer, but in the interest of longevity, I'd rather not push the limits

What options are there to increase the tongue capacity (or overall tow capacity) or otherwise help with the heavier loads?
I already plan on getting the AirLift 1000 kit, and down the road will get the Rancho Quicklift and spacers

Redcliff

Postby Redcliff » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:57 am

ZPOC RDY wrote:I've been looking at trailers for a while and finding something I can use with my family hasn't been too difficult for the weight capacity. However, I'm having a hard time finding something with a max tongue weight of 600 lbs. I'm not experienced towing a trailer, but in the interest of longevity, I'd rather not push the limits

What options are there to increase the tongue capacity (or overall tow capacity) or otherwise help with the heavier loads?
I already plan on getting the AirLift 1000 kit, and down the road will get the Rancho Quicklift and spacers
I know this thread is old, but I am also very interested if the addition of airbags in the rear increases how much tongue weight you can take in a R51. We have settled on a travel trailer with a GVWR under 4,000lb., but the tongue weight is 420lb. I think that number includes two full propane tanks, but with adding a 12v battery, WDH, and various other items (including bikes) up front, I am thinking we will definitely be over 600lb.

But do the airbags and WDH let us comfortably have more than 600lb. on the tongue?

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:04 am

The airbags technically do not allow you to increase the tongue weight. They just help firm up the rear end when it is loaded which prevents sag.

The rule of thumb for towing is 10% of the weight should be on the tongue. The Pathfinder can tow 6K# so the tongue limit should be 600#. To tow 6K# you're supposed to use a WDH.

A few pounds over 600 won't hurt anything. But you don't want to go too far. The stuff you put in the back of the trailer may offset the forward weight some.

Perhaps the position of the wheels on the trailer can be adjusted (moved forward a bit) to get the tongue weight right.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:30 am

Agreed, don't overload your tongue, it will lead to a very stressful towing experience.

Any option to put the bikes on the back of the trailer?

Return to “R51 General Chat”