Looking at 2011 or 2012 PF's

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Ride2Live

Looking at 2011 or 2012 PF's

Postby Ride2Live » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi All!

We currently have a reliable 2006 SE that is at 237k now and well its had a toll taken on it by our Ohio winters. It still pulls like a freight train though and has been by far the most reliable SUV we have had.

I want to get a newer model prior to the change of the 13's and am wondering if the 11 and 12 model years have all the previous bugs worked out?

Also did they change the tune after the (2006) early years? I drove a 14 Xterra last summer and it really seemed casterated compared to my 06? Is that something that can be changed easily on the newer Pathfinders?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide
Pete

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Yep - the radiator and chains should be worked on in a 2011 or 2012.

As far as tune, yes, the XTerra and Frontier have a slightly different tune. Pathfinder has a bit more power at the top end with premium gas, and runs a little smoother on it. but it's not so different I'd choose based on that. I'd choose on all the other ways a Pathfinder is better than an XTerra 8)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:07 am

There have been two or three people that have reported radiator failures on the 2011 Pathfinder. They are very rare, but not totally exempt.

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:50 am

Oh boy, I was under the impression they fixed the radiator issue from 2010 on? When the dealer replaced ours in 2010 I asked the tech to leave the bypass in place just in-case because I couldn't find enough information at that time to feel comfortable enough that it was in fact resolved.

More concerning though when you refer to chains? Are you talking cam chains?!!! :shock: I thought that was for sure addressed early on say by 08/09? Are there threads here with 2012's that have cam chain issues? This would be affecting all the xterra's and frontiers as well maybe? Perhaps I can look on some other forums.

My 2006 makes the cam chain noise now at 237k but before say 210k it was fine. I'm not messing with my 06 just going to driving it until it blows up! The bottom is pretty corroded from Ohio winters!

I have found a lower miles 2012 pathfinder that I am pursuing however CAM chain issues would be a big turn off! Yeah I have no desire for an xterrra or frontier only interested in PF's

Thanks!
Pete

ShipFixer wrote:Yep - the radiator and chains should be worked on in a 2011 or 2012.

As far as tune, yes, the XTerra and Frontier have a slightly different tune. Pathfinder has a bit more power at the top end with premium gas, and runs a little smoother on it. but it's not so different I'd choose based on that. I'd choose on all the other ways a Pathfinder is better than an XTerra 8)

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:01 am

Ride2Live wrote:Oh boy, I was under the impression they fixed the radiator issue from 2010 on? When the dealer replaced ours in 2010 I asked the tech to leave the bypass in place just in-case because I couldn't find enough information at that time to feel comfortable enough that it was in fact resolved.

1)More concerning though when you refer to chains? Are you talking cam chains?!!! :shock: I thought that was for sure addressed early on say by 08/09? Are there threads here with 2012's that have cam chain issues? This would be affecting all the xterra's and frontiers as well maybe?

2)Perhaps I can look on some other forums.

3) I have found a lower miles 2012 pathfinder that I am pursuing however CAM chain issues would be a big turn off! Yeah I have no desire for an xterrra or frontier only interested in PF's

Thanks!
Pete

ShipFixer wrote:Yep - the radiator and chains should be worked on in a 2011 or 2012.

1) The timing chain tensioner (guide?) issue had been resolved by 2011
2) :shock: Wash your mouth with soap!
3) Buy with confidence.

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Ride2Live wrote:Oh boy, I was under the impression they fixed the radiator issue from 2010 on? When the dealer replaced ours in 2010 I asked the tech to leave the bypass in place just in-case because I couldn't find enough information at that time to feel comfortable enough that it was in fact resolved.

1)More concerning though when you refer to chains? Are you talking cam chains?!!! :shock: I thought that was for sure addressed early on say by 08/09? Are there threads here with 2012's that have cam chain issues? This would be affecting all the xterra's and frontiers as well maybe?

2)Perhaps I can look on some other forums.

3) I have found a lower miles 2012 pathfinder that I am pursuing however CAM chain issues would be a big turn off! Yeah I have no desire for an xterrra or frontier only interested in PF's

Thanks!
Pete

1) The timing chain tensioner (guide?) issue had been resolved by 2011
2) :shock: Wash your mouth with soap!
3) Buy with confidence.
Thanks all! for the feedback, I put a good faith deposit down on a 2012 Red LE! with 45k mi. If it drives like it looks and looks like the pics in person its coming home with us!

Pete

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Nice! I'd love to do the same but then I'd have to move all my mods over 🙃

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Ride2Live wrote: Thanks all! for the feedback, I put a good faith deposit down on a 2012 Red LE! with 45k mi. If it drives like it looks and looks like the pics in person its coming home with us!

Pete
Congratulations! The chain issue was long fixed in 2009 and the radiator issue was supposedly fixed by 2010 as well. You might want to check the radiator p/n#. I have the 21460 - 9CA3A which is supposedly safe. The -ZL11A are the ones that are said to be prone to the SMOD.

Lucky you finding a LE. I looked one for a reasonable price and less than 100k miles and couldn’t find one. So I ended up buying a Silver edition. Enjoy that heated steering wheel :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 am

I frequent ClubFrontier's forums quite a bit. Not long ago, they had a member with a 2013 Frontier that experienced the radiator cooler failure. Again, they are very rare after 2010, but one pops up every now and then. That said, I've yet to hear of a single aftermarket radiator that has had an issue with the cooler. Same goes for the Nissan Value Line radiator.

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 am

brickbox wrote: Congratulations! The chain issue was long fixed in 2009 and the radiator issue was supposedly fixed by 2010 as well. You might want to check the radiator p/n#. I have the 21460 - 9CA3A which is supposedly safe. The -ZL11A are the ones that are said to be prone to the SMOD.

Lucky you finding a LE. I looked one for a reasonable price and less than 100k miles and couldn’t find one. So I ended up buying a Silver edition. Enjoy that heated steering wheel :D
Thanks! Its not final yet but looking good! I have been looking for another PF for 2+ years now and have gone to look at some that appeared very nice in pics but were junk in person. I also had a few I drug my feet on that ended up being very nice and they went quick!

I thought I had one a month ago, a black 2012 Silver with low miles (41k) one owner. No pics on line yet so I asked the sales person to text them asap. They said they literally took it in and were putting it on the lift that day but would get me something soon as she could. She replied later that afternoon "sorry the tech that put it on the lift decided to buy it!!!" Oh well!

The low mi ones are very rare but do come around if you have patience, my advice is to get on those ASAP some are beat up but some are garage queens!

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 am

smj999smj wrote:I frequent ClubFrontier's forums quite a bit. Not long ago, they had a member with a 2013 Frontier that experienced the radiator cooler failure. Again, they are very rare after 2010, but one pops up every now and then. That said, I've yet to hear of a single aftermarket radiator that has had an issue with the cooler. Same goes for the Nissan Value Line radiator.
I wasn't planning on doing any type of by-pass on this one. I checked the VIN for any recalls and it came up clean so that was good to know!

First order of business will be to see if they changed the oil and if so with what?
I plan on changinng:
Engine oil / filter - full synthetic if needed
Front and rear differential - full synthetic
Drop and fill ATF
Change front T/Case

Pete

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:55 am

I would stick to conventional 80w90 on the front. Sometimes the seals aren’t designed to handle the synthetic fluid.

For the rears, do use 75w90 synthetic.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:58 am

brickbox wrote:I would stick to conventional 80w90 on the front. Sometimes the seals aren’t designed to handle the synthetic fluid.

I've been using 75W90 full synthetic gear oil in my front diffs. The 2006 has 203,000 miles on it and I've been using the 75W90 in the front since it had 90,000 miles on it. The 2008 started using 75W90 when it had 50,000 miles on it and now it has almost 250,000 miles on it. Neither one has any leaks or issues.

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 am

smj999smj wrote:
brickbox wrote:I would stick to conventional 80w90 on the front. Sometimes the seals aren’t designed to handle the synthetic fluid.

I've been using 75W90 full synthetic gear oil in my front diffs. The 2006 has 203,000 miles on it and I've been using the 75W90 in the front since it had 90,000 miles on it. The 2008 started using 75W90 when it had 50,000 miles on it and now it has almost 250,000 miles on it. Neither one has any leaks or issues.
:lol: Same here, I have run Mobil1 engine / front and rear diffs on full synthetics starting at 20k mi. Our 06 SE is on its way to 238k mi now so another high mileage truck here too!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 pm

A lot of that thinking that some seals won't hold up to synthetic fluids come from when synthetic oils were in their early stages over a decade ago. They've come a long way since then and it's not an issue, today.

Return to “R51 General Chat”