Rear view mirror temp sensor?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jasontamu

Rear view mirror temp sensor?

Postby jasontamu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:33 am

hi,

I pulled a gentex homelink, temp sensor, compass mirror out of an 06 pathfinder this past weekend at the local junk yard.

they sold it to me for 50 bucks!!! woo hoo!!

I didnt however pull the temp sensor? where is it located on the pathy??
i couldnt find it? so i need to know where it is, so i can go back and get it? if its undamaged...

thanks,
-J

Npath

Re: Rear view mirror temp sensor?

Postby Npath » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Tried looking it up for you, but it doesn't say in the electronic service manual... I couldn't find it anyways. But I'm willing to bet you'll find it close to the rear view mirror, tucked away under the headliner.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Npath wrote:Tried looking it up for you, but it doesn't say in the electronic service manual... I couldn't find it anyways. But I'm willing to bet you'll find it close to the rear view mirror, tucked away under the headliner.
I don't know where it is, but I know that it must be enclosed cuz when you sit in the sun it causes the temp to go up. Makes sense if its under the headliner.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 am

According to the Factory Service manual, the temp sensor that supplies the mirror is "Ambient Sensor 2". This should be right next to "Ambient Sensor 1" which supplies the Amb. temperature for the Climate Control system. Since AS1 is mounted behind the grill next to the horn, AS2 should be right around there as well.

According to the wiring harness diagram, you should be able to follow the WH back from AS1, to your first split, which should lead you to AS2. If it wasn't pouring outside, I'd go out and take a look.

If the Pathy you pulled the mirror from was involved in a front end collision, you may have an issue getting a working AS2 sensor. Worth a shot though.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:30 am

Well, after talking my grill off to take a look, I believe this is your likely culprit:

I tried to disconnect mine to confirm it, but it was a tough squeeze in my garage, so I wasn't able to get it.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Npath wrote:Tried looking it up for you, but it doesn't say in the electronic service manual... I couldn't find it anyways. But I'm willing to bet you'll find it close to the rear view mirror, tucked away under the headliner.
I'll bet you're right, especially 'cause I think the OP is referring to the wiring connector for the mirror, not the actual sensor in the engine compartment.

To address a previous post, the sensor itself won't be under the headliner. It has to have airflow across it in order to register anything close to an accurate ambient temperature. G35TR's great photos prove that point.

My previous Isuzu Trooper was minus the temp/compass mirror, but came pre-wired for it, including the temp sensor behind the grill. The harness connector was tucked under the edge of the headliner. In the PF, it's probably behind the overhead trim that contains the sunroof switch, map lights and sunglasses compartment. I already have the mirror in my LE, so I have no reason to look. I guess the real question is . . . do all PF's come pre-wired with the temp sensor behind the grill? If not, that presents another issue.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 pm

After double checking the wiring diagram in the service manual (Page "PG-48"), it looks as though I may have these labeled backwards. Someone else wanna take a look and give us some other thoughts?

Also, it would be nice to hear from the OP to let us know more info on what he is looking for (Silver brought up some good points). I too am curious if all R51's (including non temp mirror equipped units) have both sensors. If not, it would make it a lot easier to determine which one of the two it is. Please don't make me take the grill off and test it myself :lol:

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:05 am

This is what I found.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Cool. I have them correct then. Thanks.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Check and see if yours may already have it ..... I have seen some vehicles that just have them both installed at the factory no matter what .... I want to do that same upgrade in my '06 SE , so I am very interested in how it all goes !!

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:17 pm

thetiger wrote:This is what I found.

Good thing no one took my bet! LOL

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”