Mystery electrical parasitic draw?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Jumpin

Mystery electrical parasitic draw?

Postby Jumpin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:29 am

Hi folks, would appreciate your input. I took my 2012 Pathy LE V6 in for hard start (3 years in a 7 year batty) and they said they’d not seen a battery so drained but it had 50% of the warranty left so I paid for 1/2 of new battery and happily left. Then that went dead after I left it undriven for 36 hours after having that new battery 20 days. It had a strong start the entire time I was driving it consistently with absolutely no issues. Then I went 36 hours without driving it. I was welcomed with a buzzing when I went to start it. All needles on instruments vibrated a couple mm up and down. Short story: couldn’t jump w my other car, emergency jump brick and couldn’t trickle charge. Pulled it and took to Les Schwab, gave me a new battery as it was under warranty with caveat that they aren’t going to replace it if it fails again in next two years.

2 days later my friend and I ran diagnostics on it w his diag tool which showed that the alternator is charging the battery fine. Nissan wants 105.00 to test the car for a parasitic draw. Any ideas? The only e- issue I have had (4 months ago) is having to replace fuse For front dash cigarette lighter Sockets and the bottom one still doesn’t work. What are your best guesses? Thanks! Also if u know why that bottom cig lighter doesn’t work that’s a bonus I’ll take!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:19 am

You could try checking for the parasitic draw, yourself. There are a number of YouTube vids that show you how to do it. As far as the power socket, impossible to say without testing. Could be a separate fuse for it that's blown or a circuit issue. The wiring diagram is in the factory service manual; NICO Club's site has free, online manuals.

Jumpin

Postby Jumpin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:12 am

I will look around for the videos. Thanks.

Return to “R51 Electrical”