Emergency brake adjustment

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Knightro

Emergency brake adjustment

Postby Knightro » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:17 am

Trying to find out how to adjust the emergency brake on my '06. I did a search and was directed to the sticky under service manuals. There is a section on the parking brake but the link seems incomplete, only 8 pages and it's just specs on stuff. Not how to adjust or diagram of area. Maybe Nissan asked it to be removed? There is a really good write up on front brake installation but my brakes are good all the way around. Anyway, anyone adjust this themselves yet?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Emergency brake adjustment

Postby eieio » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 am

Knightro wrote:Trying to find out how to adjust the emergency brake on my '06. I did a search and was directed to the sticky under service manuals. There is a section on the parking brake but the link seems incomplete, only 8 pages and it's just specs on stuff. Not how to adjust or diagram of area. Maybe Nissan asked it to be removed? There is a really good write up on front brake installation but my brakes are good all the way around. Anyway, anyone adjust this themselves yet?
see service manual page PB-3 for the adjustment procedure

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks, I don't think the service manual link on this site is working though. I was able to find it on nickoclub.com . Looks more complicated than I thought. Thanks for the info.

3maxima

e-brake adjustment

Postby 3maxima » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 am

Wow, my first post and I might be helpful.
The adjustment is actually quite simple. Raise the back end and take off both rear wheels. Release the emergency brake. There is a little rubber plug in the rear brake disk. Carefully remove this plug without pushing it in. (I learned that the hard way and had to remove the caliper)
Rotate the rotor until the observation hole is between 5 and 6 o'clock. There is an adjuster there and you can see the tiny prongs sticking out. With a flat blade screwdriver flip the adjuster UP until you feel the brake shoes inside the rotor start to grip, then back off a couple clicks. Go to the other side and move that adjuster up the same number of clicks.
Replace the rubber plug and put the wheels back on.
Now adjust the cable. Up above the pedal there is a 10 mm nut on a long bolt. Get a deep 10mm socket, a swivel and a 6" extension and tighten that nut. You can probably turn it without a ratchet. Tighten it until you have a good pedal.
Done.

NoCode

Re: e-brake adjustment

Postby NoCode » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:15 pm

3maxima wrote:Wow, my first post and I might be helpful.
The adjustment is actually quite simple. Raise the back end and take off both rear wheels. Release the emergency brake. There is a little rubber plug in the rear brake disk. Carefully remove this plug without pushing it in. (I learned that the hard way and had to remove the caliper)
Rotate the rotor until the observation hole is between 5 and 6 o'clock. There is an adjuster there and you can see the tiny prongs sticking out. With a flat blade screwdriver flip the adjuster UP until you feel the brake shoes inside the rotor start to grip, then back off a couple clicks. Go to the other side and move that adjuster up the same number of clicks.
Replace the rubber plug and put the wheels back on.
Now adjust the cable. Up above the pedal there is a 10 mm nut on a long bolt. Get a deep 10mm socket, a swivel and a 6" extension and tighten that nut. You can probably turn it without a ratchet. Tighten it until you have a good pedal.
Done.
Thank you so much for posting this. My ebrake has had no hold for months. I did your process today and it worked perfectly! Great post!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”