2003 LE Struggles at start

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

krieg17

2003 LE Struggles at start

Postby krieg17 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi all, just wanted to see if anyone has a quick first step maybe for this issue?

Issue is that upon cold start, it fires great, then immediately dies. So basically...I have to give it gas upon starting, and after a couple seconds of giving it some gas i can let it idle and it's perfectly fine. It also has zero issues while driving or idling after this. It can start fine when warm, but occasionally the warm start struggles for a few seconds too. Seems like it's not getting the proper air flow at first or something. As if it was fuel filter or something i'd assume it would have problems more than just at start.

MAF sensor maybe and check air filter? Any other suggestions? Any thoughts on this, as always, are appreciated!!!

Thanks,
J

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:58 pm

The IACV-AAV valve controls cold start fast idle and helps maintain base idle under loads. The valve, which sits on the bottom side of the upper plenum, could be dirty or bad. Try following the factory service manual procedure to adjust the base idle and check the ignition timing to see if that makes any difference. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to check the inside of the throttle body and the throttle plate for varnish build-up and clean, as necessary. It also wouldn't hurt to do a fuel pressure leak down test to make sure an injector is not leaking while the engine is off and make sure the spark plugs aren't worn out.

krieg17

Postby krieg17 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:49 am

Damn, you're the man. Thanks for the quick reply! Well I can't argue with you, you clearly know your stuff. After researching your analysis, it seems like a pretty spot on place to start. Was hoping it would be something a little easier though! I've done all suspension and bunch of other stuff, but I'm kind of limited in confidence and work space (apartment) when it comes to taking engine pieces off and such.

I think i'll start with cleaning the MAF, probably won't help, but it's never been done, and is easy...so no harm no foul WHEN it doesn't work.

To do a mobile mechanic looks to be about $450 for IACV replacement. Last question, can this lead to other problems if not taken care of quickly? As it's not too much of a nuisance at this time.

Thanks bro!
J

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Not really. You might get a rough idle or, worse case scenario, an engine stall, if you have a lot of loads on the engine at a stop (air conditioning, headlamps, etc.). Hard starting in cold temperatures would be another issue.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”