2017 Platinum Pathfinder RUSTING after 2 years

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

My2017Platinum

2017 Platinum Pathfinder RUSTING after 2 years

Postby My2017Platinum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm

I purchased this P/F earlier this year, after giving it a thorough cleaning and waxing this summer I discovered "small bubbling rust formations" below the hatch window where it meets the rubber seal. I also found rust on the sub frame which the dealer in Stanhope NJ said is normal. They took pics and said they'll forward to the regional Rep for review.

After several phone calls and waiting over a month I paid them a visit only to learn the inquiry was denied. I was told to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs (1-800-NISSAN1) which I did. I was given a Case# and advised that someone from Tennessee (Area Code 615) would call the following day which they did. I was told that Nissan DOES NOT cover rust and WILL NOT do anything to fix the problem ... I couldn't believe what I just heard!

Not sure where to go with this next other than posting reviews on multiple website which I've started doing. SHAME ON NISSAN!!

https://i.imgur.com/Pp6emfA.jpg

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm

I believe the rust warranty manufacturers offer is called a "rust through" warranty.

So sadly manufactures will not do warranty repairs unless a panel is rusted thru before the warranty is out. :(

Once u have the pics up we might see if they are small enough for an easy DIY fix. :wink:

My2017Platinum

Postby My2017Platinum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:00 pm

I've already given this some thought. Unfortunately my garage does not allow me to work inside
and it's already too late in the season to do anything outdoors,
so, this have to wait until spring which will give me enough time
to figure out the best approach.

I'll appreciate any advise that comes my way :)

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:07 pm

It's well known that the paint finish on R52 Pathfinders is crap. Most people first see the bubbling of the paint on the hood.

A review of the 2017 Warranty booklet looks like they'll only cover you if your corrosion is a rust-through.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... ooklet.pdf

I think your only recourse at this point is to contact your local BBB and complain and post your displeasure on as many Nissan sites as you can find.

My2017Platinum

Postby My2017Platinum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Yes Thank You, I've already started that, no other recourse at this time.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:06 pm

How is the rest of the SUV? I am sure there are some good points about it too that made you buy it in first place :)

In the big scheme of things there could be worse problems... :wink:

My2017Platinum

Postby My2017Platinum » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:54 am

There are many good points to a top line model from the cooled/heated seating to the adaptive cruise control not to mention comfort and ride quality.

I selected the Pathfinder because of it's reasonable good MPG's and 6,000Lb towing capacity which was more than what the competition offered ... but I still can't get over that and Nissan is still building (expensive) vehicles that will begin rusting after 2 years, this shouldn't be :(

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Did you get those rust spots taken care of?

My2017Platinum

Postby My2017Platinum » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:07 pm

After getting nowhere with Nissan, (they couldn't care less and were not interested in looking into this problem) I decided to forget them FOREVER. I took the loss and traded in for a New Ford ... in my book,
and I've owned several (we still have a 2016 Rogue), NISSAN SUCKS & I'm never going back!

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Unfortunately, that is the name of the game with Nissan. You have to be persistent because they figure you'll eventually go away. Hell of a business model, but that's been the experience with lots of R52 owners.

My2017Platinum

Postby My2017Platinum » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:05 pm

If this is the way Nissan treats me with this issue what happens if it's mechanically related? This is the 2nd time I butt'd heads with Nissan, but the last.

If our 2016 Rogue turns problematic and Nissan bends me over the barrel again , then that vehicle is kaput and I'll again take to the airwaves and tell my story ... no better way to spread the news ... eat my shorts you DirtBags!

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Your problem was largely cosmetic. Many 2013 - 2015 owners experienced issues with their CVT transmissions that Nissan didn't acknowledge, forcing lawsuits and some buy-backs. The Rogue seems to be better supported and promoted for some reason, so hopefully you'll get better service on it.

Return to “R52 Body Interior and Exterior ”