Fuel gauge sending unit and timing chain problems

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pdslug

Fuel gauge sending unit and timing chain problems

Postby pdslug » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi guys,
I haven’t posted for awhile but still checking out the forum occasionally. I’ve had to get a few repairs to my pathfinder recently that seem to be a bit out of the ordinary, and just wanted to share and see if anyone else has had similar problems

I have a 2005 SE Off Road with about 59,500 miles.

First item – my fuel gauge starting flaking out on me. First noticed when it was near empty and I filled it up at the gas station – it would still read empty and the check engine light would come on. After a few days of driving the needle would slowly come up to what appeared to be the correct level. But the process would repeat each time I filled up. I lived with this for a couple of months but finally took it in to get fixed. It was the fuel gauge sending unit – cost a total of $377 to fix.

Second item, more critical, I started hearing a high pitched whining noise coming from the engine. Not real bad, but definitely a different than normal sound. Took it in to the dealer and they said it was the timing chain and tensioners going bad. Here is the description from the service ticket:
“Check engine whining noise from in the timing chain area. Upper timining chain tensioners worn and making whining noise. Replace secondary timing chains and tensioners.”
This was covered under the power train warranty, so didn’t cost me anything –but they said it was a $2500 repair.

So, all is fixed and working well. Anyone have similar problems?

Roadwarrior

Postby Roadwarrior » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Hey man Im just getting ready to buy a 05 with 43k. How long is the powertrain warranty? I sort of thought I was buying this thing w/o a warranty at all and my broker was trying to sell me an extended warranty... which im still considering.

I know im probably out of the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper, but how long does the powertrain cover me?

thanks!

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:20 pm

pdslug- Just curious, what kind of oil have you been using, and how often do you change it? What are your typical driving habits?

I have 51k on my '05 and I'm almost hoping that I hear something before my powertrain warranty is out. I might take it in at 59k anyway.

abomb1

Postby abomb1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:57 pm

I have the same fuel sending unit problem with a little twist. My check engine light comes on when I get down to around 130 miles or less in the tank and just flashes the "----" instead of telling me how many miles I have left. The light will go out after I fill up and have started the truck about 5 times or so. I haven't gotten it replaced yet just because it sounded like an expensive fix with having to drop the tank and all to replace. Probably started for me around 55,000 miles on my 05 SE.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:25 pm

LittleStevie wrote:pdslug- Just curious, what kind of oil have you been using, and how often do you change it? What are your typical driving habits?
For the first year or so, I just used regular oil, but then changed to synthetic. I change it about every 4k miles (sometimes have gone over that). Mostly city driving, but one or two times a year i have done some off-roading.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Roadwarrior wrote: I know im probably out of the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper, but how long does the powertrain cover me?

thanks!
I will have to check - I am thinking it is 7-year/70,000 mile. Does anyone know for sure?

The dealer said he had only seen this happen once before - but I gather there is a service bulletin out covering this (upper timing chains and tensioners).

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I think it's 5 years, 60,000 miles.

Ride2Live

Re: Fuel gauge sending unit and timing chain problems

Postby Ride2Live » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:19 pm

I have a 2006 SE 4x4 with 50k.

I am having the exact same symptom with my fuel guage. Guage flakes out drops to E light comes on. You fill it up and within the next 3-5 starts it attains the position back to where it should be. Then soon as I get down below a 1/2 tank it flakes out. Check Engine light is on as well.

I need to take it to my friends house to get the code on it I also have the evap code currently on mine as well which most likely is the valve on the evap canister is shot.

I was waiting for a new dealer to open up here if it's too expensive, I'm doing it myself or with a friend who is a mechanic.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm

I thought it was a pretty expensive repair... If you can do it yourself - go for it!

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 pm

pdslug wrote:I thought it was a pretty expensive repair... If you can do it yourself - go for it!
Did you try to negotiate with the dealer and get $$$ off the repair? I heard a service manager say they can ask Nissan for goodwill in certain situations.
I have heard people on here say they had gotten the parts discounted or even free and they only had to pay labor.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:33 pm

my tensioner is for crap, it squeals really bad. i bought the extended warranty on it but the dealer wouldn't fix it so im not to sure what to do now. I just turned 36,000 miles on the truck.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:11 am

Roadwarrior wrote: I know im probably out of the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper, but how long does the powertrain cover me?
thanks!
The basic limited warranty coverage is 3 year/ 36K. The powertrain is 5 year /60K.

Careful about buying a used one in reguards to what warranty is available. The Factory limited, and powertrain, warranties are usually only available to the original owner. If you are offered extended warranties, concider getting one that covers the powertrain, at least.

I bought mine used with about 16,000 miles on it. I did buy it from a Nissan dealer and it was Factory certified. With the certification, it has 7 year/ 100K mile powertrain... That is from the original "in-service" date. In other words, when I bought it, there was 6 years/ 84,000 miles left on powertrain.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 am

BMXPath wrote:
thanks!
The basic limited warranty coverage is 3 year/ 36K. The powertrain is 5 year /60K.

Careful about buying a used one in reguards to what warranty is available. The Factory limited, and powertrain, warranties are usually only available to the original owner. If you are offered extended warranties, concider getting one that covers the powertrain, at least.

I bought mine used with about 16,000 miles on it. I did buy it from a Nissan dealer and it was Factory certified. With the certification, it has 7 year/ 100K mile powertrain... That is from the original "in-service" date. In other words, when I bought it, there was 6 years/ 84,000 miles left on powertrain.
Aside from appearing to be a fairly involved repair (lots of disassemly to gain access to components), this repair doesn't look too bad. You just have to ensure the timing marks on the chain and pulleys are lined up. If you've done a timing belt or other major repair in the past, this one should be easy.

Anyone guess what the parts costs would be ?

t

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Well whoever tackles this first, be sure to take pictures along the way. Mine isn't doing it yet but I'm running out of warranty time. I'd imagine that when faced with a $2000 repair cost I'd attempt to do it myself.

If it takes Nissan 8 hours I'm sure it would be a good solid weekend of work for most of us. Maybe it's not that bad, I haven't studied the drawings to see what needs to come off. Hopefully there aren't any specialized tools needed.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:46 pm

me&pathy wrote:my tensioner is for crap, it squeals really bad. i bought the extended warranty on it but the dealer wouldn't fix it so im not to sure what to do now. I just turned 36,000 miles on the truck.
Mine (timing chains and tensioner) was covered under the powertrain warranty -- I was a little over 59k miles and it was covered. Shouldnt that work for your truck?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”