Our '05 R51 threw a U1000 code.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Our '05 R51 threw a U1000 code.

Postby eieio » Wed May 06, 2020 12:16 pm

Are there any drivability problems associated with this code?
Can the code be a fluke with no actual problem?
I read the service bulletin (NTB06-009a) but didn't see any mention of performance issues.
Can there be any in our future?
Had the code read at a local auto parts store, cancelled the code by battery disconnect.
The only thing I can do at this point is monitor the situation.
The bulletin indicates a huge amount of labor to check & clean grounds, and even then there's no guarantee that that will fix it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 07, 2020 10:58 am

I didn't have any drivability issues when I had the problem on my 2006 LE years ago, but I guess issues may occur and not necessarily drivability concerns. As I remember the TSB, it's not just have the CAN COMM code but also certain info stored in the freeze frame data in order to comply with the bulletin. I don't believe I had freeze frame data per the TSB, but I went ahead and cleaned all of the grounds, anyway, and the problem went away. Most of the grounds aren't too bad to get to in the engine compartment. There are a couple behind the dashboard that are a bit of a pain to get to. So, try cleaning as many of the grounds mentioned in the bulletin that aren't too difficult to get to and see what happens. Also, make sure the battery connections are clean and tight on the battery post; you should not be able to turn them by hand. Poor battery connections causing issues are a common problem on these vehicles, as well.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu May 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Thanks!
But I'm not sure what you mean by this................

"it's not just have the CAN COMM code but also certain info stored in the freeze frame data in order to comply with the bulletin."

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 pm

Often when the ECM detects a problem that will cause it to set a trouble code, it will take a snapshot of some of the datastream info, i.e. coolant temp, engine RPM, calculated load %, O2 sensor readings, etc., which is called the "freeze frame" data. This can be useful to the technician when he's trying to duplicate the problem when trying to diagnose it. Usually this info is accessed using a scan tool. If I'm not mistaken, the TSB per the CAN Comm codes and poor grounds qualifies the mentioned repair based on the stored codes and specific information recorded in the freeze frame data.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat May 09, 2020 1:41 pm

smj999smj wrote:Often when the ECM detects a problem that will cause it to set a trouble code, it will take a snapshot of some of the datastream info, i.e. coolant temp, engine RPM, calculated load %, O2 sensor readings, etc., which is called the "freeze frame" data. This can be useful to the technician when he's trying to duplicate the problem when trying to diagnose it. Usually this info is accessed using a scan tool. If I'm not mistaken, the TSB per the CAN Comm codes and poor grounds qualifies the mentioned repair based on the stored codes and specific information recorded in the freeze frame data.
So with the scan tool, one can pin down which ground specifically needs repair?
If so, what kind of scan tool is necessary for this?
I don't have one myself (Autozone read the U1000 code), but if I need to buy one, what would you recommend?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 09, 2020 3:12 pm

No, the only thing the scan tool will tell you is the freeze frame data to see if the TSB applies to that bulletin according to Nissan. As I said, mine actually didn't have freeze frame data specs in accordance with the TSB, just the CAN Comm code, but cleaning the grounds that I could get to fixed the problem, anyway. I did all of the ones in the engine compartment and one or two on the passenger side, under the dash. I got lucky!

00pathySE

Re: Our '05 R51 threw a U1000 code.

Postby 00pathySE » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:28 am

Is there anywhere I can find where the ground points are on my 06? I searched the forum and googled but didn't find anything. Thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Our '05 R51 threw a U1000 code.

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:12 am

I believe on the first version of the TSB, it had the picture of the ground points. I guess they eliminated that when they updated it, but it tells you in the current TSB what you need to clean and where to find it. For where it says to refer to the EC section (Power Supply and Ground circuits) on page 3, you can access the factory service manual for your vehicle by clicking on the "service manual" tab at the top of the page (or the link below) and it will bring you to NICO Club's free, online service manual section.

TSB:

https://www.autocodes.com/uploads/nissan/NTB06-009a.pdf

Factory service manuals:

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/use-n ... abase.html

Return to “R51 Electrical”