Auto tensioner noise

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:43 am

smj999smj wrote:I use Gates component kits from Rockauto.com, which have the updated belt. Nice thing about them is that they have a limited-lifetime warranty. If the belts starts to crack or squeak or if the tensioner spring gets a little week, I order a whole new kit under warranty and send them back the old parts for refund, minus the cost of shipping. For just the belt and the tensioner, it's Gates 38378K for $42. If you want the belt, tensioner and the idler pulley, it's Gates 90K37378A for $70. If I was buying "only" the belt, I usually go with Bando. Gates makes the OE parts for Nissan in North America.
Thanks smj999smj.
Is there any reason why a Gates belt wouldn't be just as compatable as a Bando belt with OEM pulley & OEM updated tensioner?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:39 pm

No, the Bando will work fine with the Gates pulley and tensioner. All I'm saying is that I usually replace the tensioner and belt at the same time and, when I do, I get them all in one kit. Of course, if the tensioner has been recently replace and you just want to replace the belt, that's fine! Generally, the serpentine belt is usually good for around 70,000 miles before it needs to be replaced; at that time, there is usually some loss of tension due to normal wear and tear on the tensioner spring, so it makes sense to replace them together.

Dsgtvq14

Postby Dsgtvq14 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

trance34 wrote:Ok, so the new Gates belt I got over Thanksgiving started squealing about 2 weeks ago. When I took the truck in for a oil change I asked WTH is up, new tensioner, brand new belt and still a squeal. They told me it was becuase the new belt was garbage and that I needed to buy new Nissan belt. I went to the parts counter and they said the belt design has recently changed, um ok. Bought a new Nissan belt and put it on last night. No belt noise yet.

So that's 3 belts and 1 auto tensioner.
I changed the factory belt due to squeal with a gates and have had no squeal since been about 2 months. Unfortunately I bought that kit that brings an alternator pulley and tensioner since I though one of those may be faulty. Oh well live and learn. The belt alone is extremely easy to change.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”