stuck fresh air / recirculate door in HVAC

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

the ocho

stuck fresh air / recirculate door in HVAC

Postby the ocho » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Does anyone know if you can reach that door or the mechanism without having to remove the full dash? I would like to just flip the door over to recirculate for the summer (AC).

I'm hoping I can find a way to reach the mechanism from either under the dash, behind the glove box, or through the center stereo area or something.

(or if you have a picture or diagram where it's located that would be a huge help)

thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Remove the whole glove box assembly and it will be just above the cabin filters. Whether you'll be able to get it switched over or not is another story. I'm guessing the recirc mode door actuator is broken?

the ocho

Postby the ocho » Mon May 04, 2020 10:15 am

I'll have to dig around in there. right now the blend door works fine - but nothing happens when i push the recirc button (the LCD display changes, but you can't detect any difference in the air or hear anything happening).

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Blend door uses a different actuator motor than the recirc mode door, so that really doesn't matter as far as your concern.

the ocho

Postby the ocho » Tue May 26, 2020 6:36 am

after removing the full glove box assembly (lower and upper) I removed the cabin air filters.

The motor for the recirc door is on top and behind the unit when you are looking at it from the inside. I was able to move the door by reaching though the opening of the cabin air filters though. I had to push with some force and I heard a couple of teeth click from the gear set.

I decided just to check the mechanism while I had it all apart and sure enough, it's moving again! every click of the button it goes though it full range. I'm not positive it won't happen again - but if it does, I know I can at least get to the door and force a manual solution.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”