Body mounts - stuck?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Body mounts - stuck?

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Anyone have a secret decoder ring for the body mounts? I just loosened all ten (dropped the bolts about an inch out of each) and...nothing. I tried to jack the body off the frame and the frame rises with it.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:56 am

As pictures on the internet only tell so much...

For anyone who’s done this, when you jack the body up off of the top of the mounts, there’s nothing more connecting them to the body than the top surface of the mount right? There’s the one or two that have helper bolts which are also loosened but that’s all I see.

I’m thinking of using the jack to just get the weight off the mounts, take the bottom off of the mounts that can be separated, and twisting the metal crush sleeve free of whatever rust and whatnot has them bonded to the body with a set of really big vise grip pliers. Then lift the body the rest of the way, if I can get some or most of them then the ones I can’t twist free should have a lot more force applied and maybe break free on their own.

Makes sense right?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:44 am

ShipFixer wrote:As pictures on the internet only tell so much...

For anyone who’s done this, when you jack the body up off of the top of the mounts, there’s nothing more connecting them to the body than the top surface of the mount right? There’s the one or two that have helper bolts which are also loosened but that’s all I see.

I’m thinking of using the jack to just get the weight off the mounts, take the bottom off of the mounts that can be separated, and twisting the metal crush sleeve free of whatever rust and whatnot has them bonded to the body with a set of really big vise grip pliers. Then lift the body the rest of the way, if I can get some or most of them then the ones I can’t twist free should have a lot more force applied and maybe break free on their own.

Makes sense right?
how about some penetrant, heat (heat gun), and a gentle "rap, rap, rap" with an air hammer.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 am

Good idea - I tried a small sledge hammer but no penetrant or heat gun the other day. Can only do so much in my apartment garage (not even an outlet in the garage, sadly), but if the pliers don’t work I could get an air hammer over on base nearby in the auto hobby shop.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Any luck with the body mounts? I plan to replace the 6(suppose to be 8, but Nissan discontinued 1) on my 2002 Frontier too. I was thinking about just letting a shop have at it if I can find a trustworthy shop that can do the job for a reasonable price.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:26 am

Haven't gone back to try yet. Waiting for the coronapocalypse restrictions to lift so I can get on base where I have access to a lift, bigger power tools, etc. I have a feeling if I try lifting the other side first it might be more free (who knows?) but if it's not, I don't want to spend the hour or so loosening five of these things on both sides and getting ready just to find I still can't break them loose.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks for the update!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”