Making more power

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

PathSV

Making more power

Postby PathSV » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm

so ive been looking to make more power on my build i have the AFE GT momentum on my car have had it for 6 months now love it im looking into XTP spacers and a throttle body spacer do you think this would offer a big difference and some power or would a exhaust system be the way to go on my pathfinder its the V6 4.0L im just looking for suggestions and i catn seem to find any exhaust systems for the pathy thank you!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:12 pm

Your biggest restriction is in the catalytic converters.
So depending on location you can simply punch them out or by some highflow cats.

AAM competition in Maryland makes and sells high flow cats for other VQ engines you might want to check with them.

Once you have bolted on some parts you best bet is to get a retune on your ECU on a dyno.
Uprev is popular for that with Nissans.

PathSV

Postby PathSV » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:18 pm

I was thinking of punching the cats out but Im looking at a XTP intake spacer a AFE throttle body spacer and then getting a bully dog i feel as if these mods would work in unison and i would eventually get a exhaust system for it now if i didn't get rid of the cats would i still see a preformance gain do you think?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 pm

So far we all love the XTP intake spacer. Less annoying downshifts and smoother throttle transients. Big win!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:38 am

Don't waste your money on a throttle body spacer; they are useless other than for making noise on engines with multi-port fuel injection. As far as the plenum spacer, definitely!

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:55 am

You'll still gain some power with a larger catback. However, it will be beneficial by going with high flow cats with that larger catback. Why stop there? Throw on some headers too. If you live in an area where you don't have to smog or have any emissions inspections at all...go with a custom straight pipe exhaust.

PathSV

Re: Making more power

Postby PathSV » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:28 pm

does anyone know of any good plug and play tuners like the hyper tech max i cant seem to find any good ones ?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:00 pm

There were a couple of more options for the early R51's. I have a Superchips Flashpaq tuner on my 2006 Pathfinder LE AWD, but Superchips stopped supporting Nissans and I think it's only good up to 2010? The best tuner is UpRev, which can create custom tunes based on your upgrades. As far as a generic plug-n-player tuner, you might find a Bully Dog GT option for your Pathy. Keep in mind that you can spend a lot of money on upgrades but the real life improvement in performance is little unless you really get into cams, forced injection, etc. My 2006 has the aFe Momentum GT CAI, like yours, plus the XTP plenum spacer, the Superchips tuner running a 93 Octane performance tune with a 3-degree bump in the ignition timing, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes (deletes the rear cats) and a Magnaflow 12580 muffler, which eliminated the "Y" in the exhaust. While not as nearly accurate as a timed run on a track, I did make a couple of passes using the Superchips tuner's monitoring features. I ended up with a quarter-mile time of 17.0 seconds @ 89 MPH and 0-60 time of 15.94 seconds in AUTO mode. So, after all the work and money, I ended up with a Pathfinder that is about a half-second quicker in the quarter-mile over stock. Yeah, it sounds louder and feels like it has more power, but in "real world" performance for a daily driver, does it really make that much of an impact? Not really, other than being noisier. If I was going to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would do the XTP plenum spacer (not only for the little performance bump, but also because it makes replacing the spark plugs so much easier) and the Superchips tuner. I wouldn't have done anything else and kept the money in my wallet! The other upgrade that I am glad I did was the V8 front brake conversion; it did make a huge difference in the braking feel and performance. Now, if I were to have had a cracked exhaust manifold, then I might also do the headers at that time, but not otherwise. The DT is a nice header, but again, if you are not going with forced-induction, it's probably not worth it. I didn't feel any gain in performance after all of my exhaust mods.

PathSV

Postby PathSV » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 pm

how does that superchip work in lamens terms for your pathy like what features can you use and does it matter what model you buy as long as its for gas trucks?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:43 pm

PathSV wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 pm
how does that superchip work in lamens terms for your pathy like what features can you use and does it matter what model you buy as long as its for gas trucks?
I got the Flashpaq 4950, but the Cortex 4950 works the same. It worked on the VQ40DE and VK56DE engines used in Frontiers, Pathfinders, Xterras, Titans and Armadas. As I said, they cut their support for it at a certain year, but I forget what year, exactly. It can only tune one vehicle at a time and copies the factory tune to its database. If you return one vehicle back to the factory tune, you can use it to tune another Nissan, if you wish. It could read and erase DTC codes, allow you to record timed runs (1/4-mile, 0-30, 0-60, etc.), raise the speed and rev limiters, tweak base idle and ignition timing. The original software allowed for WOT restriction disable, but a software update removed that option for some reason. I believe there was also some basic engine monitoring, i.e. volts, RPM, O2 data, etc. You had several tunes, including tow, economy, 87 octane performance, 91 performance and 93 performance tune. It does NOT do any tuning to the automatic transmission. You can definitely feel the difference between some of the tunes and even 87 performance is an improvement over the stock tune. Economy tune turns it into a slug. It's pretty simple and straight-forward to use.

Return to “R51 General Chat”