Weird flex ribbed hose undercarriage by Spare Tire Question

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

silverarrow27

Weird flex ribbed hose undercarriage by Spare Tire Question

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:58 pm

Is this a ghetto hack job repair or is this legit? It looks like one of those clear ribbed flexible straws you get with one of those large drinks you get from the local gas station. And what is it for? Didn't appear to be liquid, some sort of vaccum or air vent hose?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Weird flex ribbed hose undercarriage by Spare Tire Question

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 pm

It's original and I believe it's called an "evaporation tube." It's part of the evaporative emission system.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks smj! You 'Da Man' here and at ClubFrontier LOL So strange that Nissan would make that tube clear. I wonder if it's part of the fuel system and that's to see if fuel overflows into that to cause any blockage in the evaporative system? I think I just need to go back under the car and trace it when I get a chance to see where it goes.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:27 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:29 pm
Thanks smj! You 'Da Man' here and at ClubFrontier LOL So strange that Nissan would make that tube clear. I wonder if it's part of the fuel system and that's to see if fuel overflows into that to cause any blockage in the evaporative system? I think I just need to go back under the car and trace it when I get a chance to see where it goes.
My bad! I thought you were referring to the black hose to the right of the filler hose. The clear hose looks like the fuel hose. I don't recall it being clear, but that's a proper type fuel for that application. I'd have to look under mine to get a better view of where's it's going to be sure.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:00 pm

It was actually my fault. I thought I had clarified which hose in the original subject line, I didn't realize I didn't clarify. If I get a chance later today, I'll crawl under the Pathy to try to trace that clear flex hose.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:19 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Many manufacturers went from metal fuel lines to nylon plastic fuel lines years ago with quick-disconnect fittings. A big benefit with them is, obviously, they don't rust. I would imagine they are a lot less costly to make compared to metal lines, as well. The so-called "ridges" just give the line a little more flexibility.

Return to “R51 General Chat”