Off-roading Tires and Rims

General off-roading discussions...what's in your trail kit?

Moderators: volvite, cruzstyle

ablemend

Off-roading Tires and Rims

Postby ablemend » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:23 am

Can anyone suggest offroading wheels and tires that I can check out for my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder S? I am planning to make my Pathy off-road worthy ASAP and have decided to start with rims and tires.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:34 am

I have a R51 (US 2005-2012), not a R52 (2013+), but for tires I would recommend the BF Goodrich KO2 with a C load rating (6-ply tire). It's the lowest rating they make, but that's like saying the Porsche Boxster is the lowest level Porsche even though it costs about $50k-$60k. I've had mine on for a while now and not once have they ever hummed at highway speeds (thank God since I'm always on the highway), gotten a flat, or anything else. I'm using factory rims because I didn't want to invest in wheels that were going to get beat up. I mostly do sand and some light rock, but the combo that I'm using has performed without a hitch. The only downside is that the tires are heavier and since I also went a size larger (gained 1in ground clearance), my gas mile age went down a bit.

rathian92

Postby rathian92 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:20 am

I'm currently looking for tires as well. I've found good tires to consider such as BFGoodrich and Toyo tires. Nitto tires are also nice tires to consider as well. I'm checking reviews about their dura, mud, and terra grappler. They all have a good selection of off-road tires, especially for mud tires. I haven't made any final decisions yet but I want to get one as part of my upgrade. I'm done installing an aftermarket bumper so I have plenty of time to work on other improvements for my rig. Anyway, have you already decided which tires to get? It should be easier to look for choices online if ever you can't go out due to the current situation. Stay safe though.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 07, 2020 11:11 am

rathian92 wrote:I'm currently looking for tires as well. I've found good tires to consider such as BFGoodrich and Toyo tires. Nitto tires are also nice tires to consider as well. I'm checking reviews about their dura, mud, and terra grappler. They all have a good selection of off-road tires, especially for mud tires. I haven't made any final decisions yet but I want to get one as part of my upgrade. I'm done installing an aftermarket bumper so I have plenty of time to work on other improvements for my rig. Anyway, have you already decided which tires to get? It should be easier to look for choices online if ever you can't go out due to the current situation. Stay safe though.
Nitto is a division of Toyo tires. Their Terra Grappler has the same construction as the Toyo Open Country A/T but the tread is different; both are good tires. The Dura Grappler, however, is not an off-road tire. It comes as either a passenger tire or a light truck rated tire. I had the passenger tire on my R51 and while it was a good tire, it was a harsh riding tire compared to the Michelin LTX M/S2 they replaced. The LT tire is a good commercial vehicle highway tire. Great tire if you have a van or truck that carries heavy equipment a lot, like a construction worker or plumber. If you're going light to medium off-road, the Terra Grappler is a good choice. If you're going to be driving through sloppy, off-road conditions, such as muddy terrain or low level swamp terrain, the Mud Grappler would be a better choice.

silverarrow27

Re: Off-roading Tires and Rims

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 am

My own personal experience with Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires are good. I have a set on my Frontier and it hasn't let me down yet. It does have some highway drone of it being an MT though. My brothers with Yokohama Geolanders do say my Extreme Country are quieter on the highway than theirs if that gives you any comparisons. I've done beach sand, steep terrain, and snow with it. I don't think I'll ever do or attempt any rock crawling without live axles front and rear.

Fande

Postby Fande » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:19 am

I installed 265/70/17's on my rig and had to cut. No problem, works great and looks tough with the black wheels. Ready for some 285's now.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 am

Fande wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:19 am
I installed 265/70/17's on my rig and had to cut. No problem, works great and looks tough with the black wheels. Ready for some 285's now.
Pics or it dindt happen :D

Return to “4x4 Tech”