Vented or Non-Vented Fuel Caps?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

silverarrow27

Vented or Non-Vented Fuel Caps?

Postby silverarrow27 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:06 am

I'm looking at replacing my fuel cap with a lockable one as it just seems too easy to steal gas from the Pathy. I'm seeing both vented and non-vented options. Also, I got a message that kept warning me that my fuel cap was loose under the tripometer and then the SES light finally came on. When I got home I re-seated the fuel cap and just waiting for it to go away. But I've been meaning to replace the oem fuel cap with a locking one anyway and I need to replace the rear shocks on the wife's Corolla so I was just thinking about buying the cap now.

Found an old post from 2012 about a Stanton locking fuel cap and when I clicked on the link that was in that post. It appears to be a vented fuel cap so I'm guessing that's what I need, but wanted to confirm with you all first.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Vented or Non-Vented Fuel Caps?

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 pm

If your looking at Stant locking gas caps, you can go with P/N 10508 or 17508. Rockauto.com has them for around $6.50 and you can also find your Corolla shocks there, as well. The gas cap vents at approx. 0.5 PSI. A bad gas cap can cause the CEL to trigger due to an evaporative emissions system malfunction and, likewise, an evaporative emission system malfunction can cause the gas cap light to illuminate. The gas cap is an integral part of the evap system, which stores the fuel vapors from the gas tank until the engine can later burn them, so if it leaks or is not seated properly, the evap system detects a leak. As far as a point of failure, a lot more get replaced by people than are actually wrong. A leaking or disconnecting hose in the system can cause an evap system code to trigger, among other component failures. The vent control valve on the evap canister is a very common failure; they can stick intermittently or permanently in either the open or closed position.

silverarrow27

Re: Vented or Non-Vented Fuel Caps?

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks buddy! Figure I can count on you! I took my fuel cap off and put it back on yesterday and cleared the code. We'll see if it comes back in a few weeks when I get done with the suspension overhaul on it.

Return to “R51 General Chat”