p0335 - crank position sensor code, stalled in my driveway

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

p0335 - crank position sensor code, stalled in my driveway

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 pm

About to head out for an Easter family gathering. Warmed the truck up, put in reverse, and it stalled in the driveway. That's never happened before!

Pulled the code and got P0335 - crank position sensor fault.

Disconnected the battery and was able to start the truck up again, though it took a few extra cranks. Ended up taking the accord to the family gathering.

Haven't been able to watch the video on YouTube for it yet, but looks to be a fast fix if you have the part.

Any opinions on oe vs aftermarket on this one?

t

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: p0335 - crank position sensor code, stalled in my drivew

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:14 pm

disallow wrote:About to head out for an Easter family gathering. Warmed the truck up, put in reverse, and it stalled in the driveway. That's never happened before!

Pulled the code and got P0335 - crank position sensor fault.

Disconnected the battery and was able to start the truck up again, though it took a few extra cranks. Ended up taking the accord to the family gathering.

Haven't been able to watch the video on YouTube for it yet, but looks to be a fast fix if you have the part.

Any opinions on oe vs aftermarket on this one?

t
.........oe is my gut feeling

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:12 am

Yeah I'd usually stick with oe on this too but dealer didn't have one, and neither did any other dealers.

Found one at my flaps for $36. Will put it in tonight and report back.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Finished the repair. The only issue was that the transmission dipstick tube is totally in the way and I had to kind of bend it out of the way to get my socket on the bolt for the crank sensor.

Other thank taht, a walk in the park...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 18, 2020 5:54 pm

So here we are, 6 years later. Towing the travel trailer home after the long weekend. Truck was towing awesome. Suddenly, the engine lost power, the speedo went to zero, and the 4wd indicator went blank. It seemed like forever, but only happened for about 1 second.

When I got home, i checked for codes. Pulled 2 pending codes, P0011 and P0021. I looked these up and nearly had a heart attack. Timing chain code.

Reset the codes, and started the truck. Took a bunch of extra cranks but did start. Code that showed up now is P0335, Crank position sensor. And recalling from 2015 when I had exactly the same problem with the engine cutting while driving, this all seems rather familiar...

I will reach out tomorrow to see the cost of OE from the dealer. Last time i ended up going with Intermotor, as no dealers had one locally and i needed it right away.

Will report back!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon May 18, 2020 7:21 pm

Im glad my crank sensor only caused it to crank extra on a trip home once (4 hour drive). I used a Vatozone duralast brand and is still going good after 3 years.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: p0335 - crank position sensor code, stalled in my driveway

Postby disallow » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Never got aroun to reporting back. Ended up ordering a new Crank Position Sensor from the local Nissan Dealer. Cost $110.

Access is super easy, remove passenger wheel and pull the wheel liner back and its right there. I used a couple elbows to get my socket onto the 10mm bolt. In and out in 10 minutes.

The only weird thing was I had to flip the harness over to plug into the sensor. So I don't know if I did the same thing when I installed the intermotor part or not. But 3 months after install, still having no issues so we are good i think!

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: p0335 - crank position sensor code, stalled in my driveway

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:51 am

Well, you did get 6 years out of the Intermotor part, so that's not too bad; their made-in-Japan parts are usually pretty good. Several time I've gotten other sensors that were bad right out of the box. When it comes to sensors for Nissans, genuine Nissan is good but expensive. Most of their sensors are made by Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Denso, Hanshin or NTK (same company as NGK spark plugs). If I have a few days to do the repair, I'll order an NTK, Hitachi or Denso sensor from Rockauto.com, but when you need the vehicle right away, that's not always an option at the local parts store.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”