To Regear or Not to Regear... This is my question

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

k2sb2003

To Regear or Not to Regear... This is my question

Postby k2sb2003 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 am

Ladies and Gents

I have paralysis by analysis! You see, I have a 12 Pathy with the stupid 3.13. DIdn't know that. In 2008 they changed the differential's final drive ratios from the 3.36.

I have upgraded from the stock 30.5 tire to a 32.7 and now tow a Black Series Patron. Generally, it pulls fine but off the line and up any hills and I am begging for more power. My wife's thought is to just buy a new vehicle but I've grown to like my Pathy and think that's a waste. My first thought was to go up to the 3.36 that was factory at one point, and very easy to do...OR... I can go to a 3.69 which seems a bit aggressive. I was unable to find the 3.54 for the R200 anywhere at all as I do feel that would probably work best. I could pull out all the stops and just order the rear R230 3.54 from a 2.5D Pathy in AU and have it shipped with the axle shafts but that seems to be overkill.

Need some insight here...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: To Regear or Not to Regear... This is my question

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:43 am

Gearing doesn't give you "more power," but I understand what you are talking about. You could try adding an XTP plenum spacer and get UpRev to reprogram your ECM, which will give you a little more power and a Tow Mode option. That would be easier than swapping out the diffs and might get you to the performance you are looking for. If not, then you could still go to the re-gearing option.

silverarrow27

Re: To Regear or Not to Regear... This is my question

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:22 pm

My brother has an FJ80 Land Cruiser that he's been building for a few years now. He went from factory stock to 37" tires with a 4" suspension lift. He finally had his LC re-geared last week to get the factory performance back and now it feels like he has a supercharger or turbocharger installed. He's glad to have that done and said it was worth every penny. He also tows one of those custom $30k off road camping trailers with a roof top tent as well as he and his family goes out camping every other weekend.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”