Second vehicle...

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Second vehicle...

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:39 pm

I am both the original owner, and now fourth owner of this 2002 Honda VFR 800 8)

The guy I sold it to left it outside...a lot...but the last owner kept it in terrific shape mechanically. It needs new plastic (inbound from eBay, Amazon, and PartZilla!), a new saddle, and the front tire is cupping a bit, but the engine, driveline, electrical stuff, and brakes are completely solid.

Why buy an 18 year old bike that skipped sunblock for too long? Because I got this during MechE grad school in Monterey, and much like my R51 there is nothing that can be further improved in the suspension. Race Tech compression and rebound valves, HyperPro progressive fork springs, a WP 3-way shock, and a roller-type head bearing all together for a new bike would cost close to what I paid for this one :-D

Anyway, my R51 no longer looks lonely downstairs! I was not thinking about getting back into motorcycles, but this popped up just two months before I move back to California where they are far, far more fun!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Second vehicle...

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:09 am

Looks nice!!!! :twisted:

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Looks good man. Back in the day I had a 96 Honda CBR 600. Fun bike and handled like a dream. I miss those days. :)

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm

Realized I haven't updated this in a while. Got a bit more to do, but I have nearly fully resurrected my 2002 since the people I sold it to left it outside in the east coast rain...a lot. :roll:

- New or repainted body work
- Polished and restored light fixtures at both ends
- Cerakoted plastic trim everywhere
- Zero Gravity stock replacement windscreen
- New OEM center cluster lenses and plastic (Cerakoted)
- Honda red luggage to replace my black-painted eBay numbers. Have the rare top center tail bag too but have never actually put it on the bike.
- Oberon clutch slave cylinder (lighter effort / wider modulation range)
- 2003+ stator and MOSFET regulator/rectifier, repaired all switches
- Hyperpro three-way shock with progressive spring
- Restored fork tubes with my Hyperpro progressive springs and RaceTech valves
- Refurbished and Cerakoted brake calipers
- Red stainless steel brake lines (all eight for linked brakes)
- Arashi wave rotors
- All LED rear turn and brake light cluster
- Rapid Bike Racing tuner (full closed loop control, beats a Power Commander easily)
- Catless headers from the VFRD forum group buy
- Delkevic exhaust with "Even quieter" baffles...V-8 sound at idle, superbike scream above 7K
- Seargeant saddle
- Cerakoted top triple clamp
- SW Motech touchless tank bag (mounts on a ring on the filler cap...does not touch the paint!)

This is all NOS plastic where I could buy it, and re-paints by me where you no longer can (front fender and corner cowl pieces). Color Rite makes extraordinarily good color matched paint for Honda R157 Italian Red where even Honda didn't give us that two decades ago. Center piece here is my paint, either side is NOS plastic:

On a Honda VFR forum, they arranged a group buy from a fab shop who copied the one "good" header design out there ever made, from Two Brothers. Since this was probably the only opportunity to ever do this, I jumped on it:

Top triple clamp:

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:55 pm

You guys are getting me to want to buy a motorcycle! :D

Return to “General Automotive”