Rear Differential Breather Kit

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Code Pathfinder

Rear Differential Breather Kit

Postby Code Pathfinder » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:36 am

So after I installed my sub frame lift in the rear, I noticed that the factory breather line was no longer sitting in a suitable position. It was hanging low to the ground where it was susceptible to dirt, grit, water, and other types of foreign debris. This is a problem because if the vent line ever was clogged or introduced foreign objects into the diff, it would spell major trouble!

To combat this issue, I went out and purchased the following items to make a Breather hose extension kit:
  • 9ft of 1/4 rubber fuel hose. High pressure or Low pressure works. I recommend High Pressure fuel hose since its a nicer material and more durable than low pressure hose.
  • 1 In Line fuel filter. This will help keep large particles out of the hose and prevent damage to the rear differential via the vent tube
  • 1/4 Stainless steel hose clamps.
Here is the kit I made with pictures and the kit fully installed:

Freshly painted Subframe with the breather kit installed.

Filter installed where the old spare tire sat on the vehicle. I have a custom spare tire carrier on the back now so i no longer needed to have a spare under there.

Finally, the 1/4 hose connecting to the breather tube on the Rear Differential.

Kit costed around $30 but I definitely recommend this modification to any Pathfinder owner out there who does a subframe lift or wants a better breather setup.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Rear Differential Breather Kit

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:08 am

I need to do this .

wbruner

Postby wbruner » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:24 am

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:11 pm

Our subframes are identical twins. What did you end up spraying your subframe with? I went with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I'm still not happy though so I may opt to swap out my rear subframe in a year or two with a rust free unit.

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:56 am

silverarrow27 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:11 pm
Our subframes are identical twins. What did you end up spraying your subframe with? I went with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I'm still not happy though so I may opt to swap out my rear subframe in a year or two with a rust free unit.
Rust Oleum Rust Converter and Rust Oleum Underbody chassis paint Rubberized Black.

So far its holding up very well!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”