7 Inch Lift Installed 05-12 Pathfinder

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Code Pathfinder

7 Inch Lift Installed 05-12 Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:45 am

My lift kit has been installed and man what a monster the Pathfinder is now :twisted:

Currently it is not drivable at the moment. I ran into tie rod length issues when installing the kit so for now, it is sitting at the shops parking lot.

I will explain in Part 2 why I am having troubles with the tie rods.

Code Pathfinder

7 Inch Lift Installed 05-12 Pathfinder Part 2

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:09 am

Alright, so one quick note:

DO NOT USE THE FABTECH KNUCKLES FROM THE NISSAN FRONTIER 6 INCH LIFT KIT. THEY ARE A NIGHTMARE :(

This is a titan swap specific outer tie rod threaded into the pathfinder/frontier/xterra inner tie rod. As you can see, its too long :evil:

Due to the following design changes on the fabtech knuckle, I ran into the following problems:

1. The tapered hole on the knuckle for the tie rod mount is bigger than the factory taper hole on the factory knuckle. Because of this, you are forced to use the fabtech specific outer tie rods. YOU CANNOT RUN HEIM KITS FROM PRG, DIRT KING, CJD RACING, ETC.

2. The fabtech knuckle tie rod mount curves away from the wheel rather than staying in the factory position. They designed the knuckle that way so you could clear a smaller wheel with their bracket lift knuckles. This is fine if you plan on running the STOCK WIDTH on the pathfinder.

When you TITAN SWAP the front end with the drop bracket lift, The distance between the inner and outer tie rods increase again.

This picture shows that the outer tie rod cannot reach the inner tie rod when the knuckle is straight and the steering wheel is centered. We attempted to use the Titan inner tie rods because they are 10 inches long. The stock inner tie rods are 8 inches long. They still could not reach the inner tie rod. If the outer tie rod had a longer shaft by maybe 1-2 inches, then we would have been fine.

So we tried using a tie rod extension on the titan inner tie rods I had laying around at the shop

The threads on the outer tie rod shaft stop at the 2 inch mark. The thread on the extension that go into the inner tie rod were bottomed out as well.

The extension was too long.

I have since decided that we have to go back to the stock inner tie rods if we plan on using an extension to reach the outer tie rod. I ordered 3.75 inch long tie rod extensions from dirt king fabrication.

Hopefully these resolve the issue im having. Otherwise Its undrivable for now :(
Last edited by Code Pathfinder on Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code Pathfinder

Re: 7 Inch Lift Installed 05-12 Pathfinder Part 3

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:49 am

The other options I have to fix the tie rod issue:

1. Remove the fabtech knuckle and install the rough country spindle that came with my kit. These however require 18x9 wheels with 5 inches of backspacing and 0mm of offset or more. I would need to buy new wheels and tires to make that happen.

2. Order the CJD Racing Steering knuckles. These correct the steering angle and allow for a 16 inch wheel to be ran. These cost $1350.

3. remove the titan swap parts and go with just the drop bracket lift kit. Not ideal since id be paying the shop to take the stuff off and reinstall the old parts.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 7 Inch Lift Installed 05-12 Pathfinder

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:47 am

Wow what a project!!!
:D

I am sure this will give people some ideas.

PathfinderDaddy

Postby PathfinderDaddy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:31 pm

ohhh this would solve my issues I need a parts list and 3 months

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:46 am

I drove down to the shop yesterday to drop off some needed parts for the pathfinder build.

Here are the parts I dropped off and some pics of the truck underneath:

DIRT KING FABRICATION Outer Tie Rod Extensions:

PRG PRODUCTS Outer Tie Rod Extensions:

I bought 2 sets of extensions to see if one didnt work. I think I will be going with the DIRT KING ones beceause they have a longer shaft piece than the PRG ones.

Another Option to fix the tie rod issue is my new set of shortened heim rods from CJD Racing. They are 7 inches long and utilize a 5/8 bolt:

Titan Sway Bar with Extended Heim Links:

Images of the truck underneath:

Yes that CV Angle is not ideal but I have seen worse. This will mainly see paved roads so I am not worried a whole lot about it.

You may be asking, why do you need the tie rod extensions? It looks just fine!

Well, My wheels look like this with the steering wheel centered:

/ \
| |

I cannot adjust the toe out. Hence the need for extensions.

At least the CV Axles are easy to get to now. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to replace them if needed in the future.

Hoping to have this thing back on the road next week. We shall see what next week brings me.

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:57 am

PathfinderDaddy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:31 pm
2) Front-wheel Pathfinder hubs

1) Rough Country 6 inch Lift Kit Nissan Frontier

1 set) PRG Billet Sway Bar Mounts

1) Titan Sway Bar

1 set) PRG Extended Length Titan Swaybar Endlinks

2) 6 inch Extended Brake lines.

1) R180 Differential with 3.69 Gearing (I am running a 08 G35 R200 Differential in the rear with 3.69 gearing. I would normally go with the titan differential but because the titan differential does not have a 3.69 gear ratio already in the housing, I am choosing the R180 instead)

2) OEM Titan Lower Control Arms

2) Titan Tubular Upper Control Arms from Rough Country

2) 2012-2014 Infiniti QX56 CV Axles

2) Fabtech Steering Knuckles - (DO NOT USE THESE! USE THE ROUGH COUNTRY ONES OR GET THE ONES FROM CJD RACING! MUST USE A 18x9 WHEEL WITH 0MM OFFSET AND 5 INCHES OF BACKSPACING IF YOU PLAN ON USING THE ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING KNUCKLES. YOU CAN RUN A 16 INCH WHEEL WITH THE CJD RACING STEERING KNUCKLES. THEY COST AROUND $1400).

2) Rough Country N3 Struts 5-6 inch drop bracket length

1) rebuilt G35 R200 differential with 3.69 gearing

1 set) Steering Rack Polyurethane Bushings From Super Pro Suspension

1 set) Rear Differential Polyurethane Bushings From Super Pro Suspension

Link to the build thread. Give this a read. It goes into more detail about the build progress :)

coming-soon-front-drop-bracket-kit-inst ... 20627.html

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Pathfinder is back on the road again!

The Dirt King Fabrication 3 inch tie rod extensions did the trick with the stock Inner tie rod and the fabtech outer tie rod.

Titan Sway bar was flipped down when I got the truck. That was causing my wheels to rub against the swaybar at full turn.

Since I had Titan Extended Length Heim End Links, I adjusted the total length of the end link and repositioned the sway bar higher up and I no longer have any contact with the titan sway bar.

The body roll is quite bad and is something I am not willing to drive with so the sway bar will stay on the truck for now.

It does squat in the rear considerably even with 4 inch subframe blocks and a 2 inch coil spring lift. I think I am going to swap out the coil spring and coil spring spacer for an Armada Coil Spring and Coil Spring spacer to try and get a leveled lift in the rear.

Alignment in the rear will be interesting to fight since our pathfinders are notorious for bad alignments due to too much lift. So far, All of the shops ive taken my Nissan to have been able to get the alignment perfect in the rear!

PathfinderDaddy

Postby PathfinderDaddy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:17 am

Code Pathfinder wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:57 am
PathfinderDaddy wrote:

What year lowers ?? or are they the same ?
I have SPC uppers and CJD Racing outters coming.. Im going to use stock spindle for now and order the NI-8433 Axles. All im trying to do is get the upper off the Strut basket

Thanks your build is pretty sick!

PathfinderDaddy

Postby PathfinderDaddy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 pm

HOw did you dial in the rear ?? I am maxed out with the 2 inch SFcreation puck and the Iron man springs I am 1.3 out of alignment

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:39 am

PathfinderDaddy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 pm
HOw did you dial in the rear ?? I am maxed out with the 2 inch SFcreation puck and the Iron man springs I am 1.3 out of alignment
1. 4 inch Sub frame lift in the rear provides a majority of the lift. The sub frame lift is essentially a frame drop. Because it drops the sub frame down, It does not effect the geometry of the wheel alignment specs. Thus allowing you to run a large lift in the rear that does not involve suspension components.

2. All of the rear suspension parts were replaced including the adjustment camber bolts and toe bolts. BOTH cam adjusters need to be absolutely free for a accurate alignment. If one of those bolts is seized or stuck, you'll never get the rear in spec after a lift kit.

3. Bring it to a competent alignment shop. Most techs are lazy and only do a "toe and go" alignment. Bring it to a shop that specializes in 4x4s and or vehicle alignments. Yes, they will probably charge more to have it aligned by them but at the end of the day, you pay for what you get.

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 am

PathfinderDaddy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:17 am
Code Pathfinder wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:57 am
PathfinderDaddy wrote:

What year lowers ?? or are they the same ?
I have SPC uppers and CJD Racing outters coming.. Im going to use stock spindle for now and order the NI-8433 Axles. All im trying to do is get the upper off the Strut basket

Thanks your build is pretty sick!
04-15 titan lowers will work. Dirt King and CJD also sell titan swap specific lowers but are spendy. CJD Allows you to retain your sway bar mounts on the lower control arm if you wish to do so where Dirt King does not.

SPC uppers from the titan will also work and provide more alignment adjustment for camber and caster specs in the front.

CJD Racing Heim outers will work on stock spindles. Make sure if you selected "frontier inners/pathfinder inners" to run those inner tie rods only. They are shorter than the titan inners thus the heim outer will be longer. If you selected "titan inners" then you'll need to run the titan inner tie rods with your swap.

Pathfinder inner tie rod length is around 8.69 inches

TItan inner tie rod length is 10.37 inches

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 am

PathfinderDaddy wrote:
ALSO:

The suspension lift portion is maxed out at 2 inches of suspension lift.

After 2 inches of SUSPENSION LIFT, you cannot get the rear end aligned properly.

The adjusters for camber and toe are maxed out and cannot be dialed in again.

You have a couple of options to fix this:

1. Remove the SF Creations puck and run the ironman springs.

2. Install a subframe lift kit to provide more lift in the rear of the pathfinder.

3. Buy these offset bushings for the rear upper control arms (They say they are for the Australia models only but they work for US and Canadian models as well. They are BS'ing you on their website). The offset bushings allow you to preset the camber in the rear so that the camber adjuster on the lower control arm can be fine tuned. Once camber is corrected, then the toe spec can be dialed back in to factory specs.

https://www.suspension.com/superpro/spf3977k

PathfinderDaddy

Postby PathfinderDaddy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:36 pm

Code Pathfinder wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 am
PathfinderDaddy wrote:
ALSO:

The suspension lift portion is maxed out at 2 inches of suspension lift.

After 2 inches of SUSPENSION LIFT, you cannot get the rear end aligned properly.

The adjusters for camber and toe are maxed out and cannot be dialed in again.

You have a couple of options to fix this:

1. Remove the SF Creations puck and run the ironman springs.

2. Install a subframe lift kit to provide more lift in the rear of the pathfinder.

3. Buy these offset bushings for the rear upper control arms (They say they are for the Australia models only but they work for US and Canadian models as well. They are BS'ing you on their website). The offset bushings allow you to preset the camber in the rear so that the camber adjuster on the lower control arm can be fine tuned. Once camber is corrected, then the toe spec can be dialed back in to factory specs.

https://www.suspension.com/superpro/spf3977k

Thanks Bro !! this has been driving me crazy I am taking the pucks out tomorrow so I can at least drive it I ordered the subframe kit and the offset bushings

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”