Oil drips after an oil change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Oil drips after an oil change

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:01 pm

I took my '08 to the dealer for an oil change because they offered the first one for free. When I got home I noticed a couple oil spots on the garage floor. It didn't appear to be a leak because it never accumulated. I took it back to the dealer and they said there was some residue that wasn't wiped off.

So I go back for the next oil change and when I get home, same problem. Called the dealer and they said there is a cross member that gets oil on it during an oil change. They try to wipe it clean, but sometimes they don't get all of it.

Does this happen to anyone else? I have debated changing the oil myself, but I'm told the skid plate can be a pain.

Npath

Re: Oil drips after an oil change

Postby Npath » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:22 pm

AZ_Path wrote:I took my '08 to the dealer for an oil change because they offered the first one for free. When I got home I noticed a couple oil spots on the garage floor. It didn't appear to be a leak because it never accumulated. I took it back to the dealer and they said there was some residue that wasn't wiped off.

So I go back for the next oil change and when I get home, same problem. Called the dealer and they said there is a cross member that gets oil on it during an oil change. They try to wipe it clean, but sometimes they don't get all of it.

Does this happen to anyone else? I have debated changing the oil myself, but I'm told the skid plate can be a pain.
I get it sometimes, but not as bad as yours. It usually pours out onto the skid plate and they do a quick wipe. I get a couple drops and that's it.

Probably the best way to do change is remove the plate. Lots of bolts to remove I have to say. If you do, take the plate off and aren't going off road with it, I'd leave the plate bolted on with 4 to 6 fasteners.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 am

Definitely the skid plate issue.I used to have the same problem with every oil change.Now,I make sure they remove the plate when they change the oil.It's the only way to effectively clean the area.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 am

phantom2 wrote:Now,I make sure they remove the plate when they change the oil.It's the only way to effectively clean the area.
Are you having it done at the dealer? Do they make a fuss about removing it?

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:52 pm

I wipe the skid plate down the best I can and it still drips a drop or two. Its pretty hard to avoid. I don't take down the whole skid plate but just use the small opening in the middle.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:38 am

I have mine changed at the dealer and they don't give me any problems about removing the plate.I complained to the service manager after two episodes of oil spots in my driveway.They gave me a free oil change and they've removed the plate ever since.It's the only way to to get the excess oil cleaned.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:51 am

I just did my first oil change on my (new to me) 2005 Pathfinder. There is a little chute that is meant to divert the oil, from the filter being changed, out through the removable hatch. Unfortunately its capacity is practically nothing. If you unscrew the filter slowly, allowing for the oil to drain out gradually, it works pretty well. If you do it all at once, there will be too much oil for the chute to carry. Just unscrew a few threads at a time and wiggle the filter around, releasing more oil and you should be fine.

If the dealer is doing it, tell them to put a rag in the gap where the oil runs, or send them the bill for the cleanup of your garage floor. :-)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”