1997, nearing 200k - what should I watch out for

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

mcphoto

1997, nearing 200k - what should I watch out for

Postby mcphoto » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:21 pm

I've sort of inherited my wife's '97 - V6, 2WD, manual trans. She's owned it 16 years and it's been very dependable. It took a major hail beating (softball sized hail) but runs great, interior in good shape. It doesn't get a lot of miles on it the last few years, but I'm a photographer and it's a great gear hauler. I'm going to purchase it for my business so further expenses will be a write-off at least.

We're at about 198K; last few years has been a new steering rack, rear suspension, tires, complete AC rebuild ($900 but we're in Texas, man) and maintenance. Full timing belt/water pump service at 111k at the dealer. Clutch & radiator maybe 6 years ago. Odds and ends like window motors, belts, hoses, sensors, heater hoses. I don't mind dropping a few hundred a year into it since a car payment would be much more expensive. We put maybe a couple thousand miles a year on it, mostly local errands and photo shoots.

But what to watch out for? I assume a heater core rotting out would not be worth fixing (pull the dash, right??). It hasn't had a legit tuneup in a decade (plugs, etc) but runs great. Any maintenance things to focus on? I do like the car, and living in a town where "my car is my identity", driving the old thing feels pretty cool, and having a car I can toss 6 bags of concrete in without being fussy is nice, too. I'm fully aware that at any moment something could fail that's just not worth fixing and I'll probably get a Transit Connect at that point. But wouldn't mind a few more years out of this one, been a great vehicle.

I'm actually thinking of getting it painted, but will probably talk myself out of that... any thoughts?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 1997, nearing 200k - what should I watch out for

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:41 am

Engine still tight, not using any oil?
It may still last a very long time.

No rust issues?

Sounds like transmission will not be an issue either with the newer clutch.
So the only things that could go would be sensors.
Like MAF, camshaft sensors, O2 sensors..

But thats something that can happen to a car at almost any milage... and a newer replacement vehicle may need those as well.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: 1997, nearing 200k - what should I watch out for

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:42 pm

Timing belt is due every 105,000 miles/6-years, so going by what you're saying, it'll be coming up for replacement, again, in the not too far off future. At that point, it's practical to replace the water pump, tensioner, thermostat and front cam and crank seals. For the tune-up, stick with NGK plugs and wires and genuine Nissan cap & rotor for best results. Don't forget the fuel filter is located above the rear axle.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”