P1757 / P1759

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Lakehead Pathfinder

P1757 / P1759

Postby Lakehead Pathfinder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:05 pm

I'm not sure if this issue is as common knowledge as it should be? (I searched!)

Background: 2006 SE with 300 000 km goes into transmission limp mode, stuck in 4th. Codes P1757 shows up (soon followed by P1759) indicating front brake solenoid circuit issue in the TCM. Google led me to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wCRqD9 ... =KarrsKars

The truck is on what I call the bonus km level, so I am reluctant to spend money on repairs*. I don't have a garage and no shop was interested in pulling the transmission valve body and returning it for repair. Except for the dealer! ...at a steep labour rate. Let the TCU drain overnight at various angles to decrease the mess. I carefully took everything apart with hand tools and used a template to keep the numerous bolts organized. The black plastic cover (top right in the pic) was very brittle after 14 yrs. Some warming with a heat gun might help?
Sure enough the contact was cracked, and an easy fix with a soldering iron. I reinstalled the original solenoids, as I was "feeling lucky" at this point.
TCM.jpg
TCU repair
*while I hope to avoid major repairs, it's my bush truck and gets regular mechanical maintenance. New tires, shocks, control arms, u joints, exhaust, etc come to mind. It has a stuck spark plug, probably original, causing O2 codes (it's the plug buried under the firewall). The interior is bathed in the warm glow of the SES light, and the exterior is BEAT. :oops:
Last edited by Lakehead Pathfinder on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

labsy

Re: P1757 / P1759

Postby labsy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Luck is a privilege of the brave ones :)
A lot of courage needed to get into disassembly of TCM. I once cleaned all ATM out, opened transmission pan and sprayed TCM from below with brake cleaner and I know it's quite some work from there on...if you work on a lift. But you say no lift, no workshop? :? How dod you manage to get it all out?

Lakehead Pathfinder

Postby Lakehead Pathfinder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:07 pm

With money :shock:
The local Nissan dealer was the only shop willing to pull out the TCM. They charged 3 hours at the usual shop rate plus a transmission service, but I still saved a pile over replacement.

The tech who does their transmission work immediately knew what I was up to :mrgreen:

Shout out: https://www.halfwaymotorsnissan.com/en

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:59 pm

It's been a known issue for a while on the RE5R05A transmissions, not only on our Pathfinders, but on Infiniti and Nissan cars (i.e. 350Z, G35...) that use the transmission, as well. They are sometimes called "pin tracks." Some will get a few, small strands of copper wiring and use them to give the bend in the pin track a little more strength when combined with the solder.

Lakehead Pathfinder

Postby Lakehead Pathfinder » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:04 am

Yes, I reinforced the solder with copper strands... don't want to repeat that job anytime soon!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”