Quantities of oils & fluids -- clarification needed

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

SoloVoyager

Quantities of oils & fluids -- clarification needed

Postby SoloVoyager » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am

Hi folks,

Noob here, and my last post was 2 years ago. I'll soon get an indy garage to replace the fluids/oils in my 2007 Pathfinder (It's a Diesel 4WD 2.5.).

What are the quantities of oil/fluid needed for the following?:

1) Engine oil
2) Power steering
3) Automatic transmission
4) Brake fluid

Also:

1) Is the fluid for the automatic transmission & power steering identical?
2) Does the automatic transmission have a filter/gasket that needs replacing?
3) Does the power steering or brake fluid reservoir have filters or anything else, apart from fluid, that need replacing?

I'd appreciate your info very much on these matters. Wanna get it right.

Thanks in advance!

- SV

SoloVoyager

Re: Quantities of oils & fluids -- clarification needed

Postby SoloVoyager » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:55 pm

The manual, yes, I've checked, but no specs on brake fluid, power steering fluid, or ATF (only quantifies coolant and fuel).

I really need this info, as I've told the indy garage I'll supply the stuff, so without knowing these quantities, I'm stuck. (The garage has quoted me a much higher price for labour and liquids, and hasn't divulged the quantities to me. I guess they want their resale margins of the fluids to me to be as profitable as possible.)

So, any info good people here?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Quantities of oils & fluids -- clarification needed

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:32 pm

SoloVoyager wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am
Hi folks,

Noob here, and my last post was 2 years ago. I'll soon get an indy garage to replace the fluids/oils in my 2007 Pathfinder (It's a Diesel 4WD 2.5.).

1) Is the fluid for the automatic transmission & power steering identical?
2) Does the automatic transmission have a filter/gasket that needs replacing?
3) Does the power steering or brake fluid reservoir have filters or anything else, apart from fluid, that need replacing?

I'd appreciate your info very much on these matters. Wanna get it right.

Thanks in advance!

- SV
I am not one of our experts on this here (who will chime in soon I hope) but in the meantime I will tell you what I know

1) Yes, commonly same ATF is used. There is a specific powersteering fluid you can buy but the consensus is that ATF is just as good and really the same fluid.
2) Since u have the Diesel engine i am not 100% sure if u have the same transmission us Yanks get. Ours is a 5 Speed Auto and takes no filter/screen/gasket.
No need to drop pan, just drain the fluid and replace with the exact (!) same amount. This will get about half the fluid which most agree is sufficient to take care of your transmission. fluid level is important.
3) No.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”