Weird issue with throttle

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

r50pathcr

Weird issue with throttle

Postby r50pathcr » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:50 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 2004 Path with VQ35DE engine... all of a sudden the car started to almost shuf off when you first accelerate... this occurred randomly and no code stored on the ECU...

I checked the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, MAF, TPS etc.. everything seemed to be ok...

Yesterday I tried to get into the diagnostic mode to see if any code was showing (although I got no CEL on while driving) and noticed that - with the car off - every time a depress the gas pedal, my check engine turns off and I here like the fuel pump relay clicking... If I take my foot off the pedal, I hear the fuel pump priming pulse and the CEL turns on as the way it should be when you put the ignition on... with this behavior I was not able to get into the diagnostic mode...

I turned the car on and decided to see how the car behaved if I unplug the MAF sensor.. did it and the car idled much better but won't go over 3000 rpms... CEL came on of course... I plug it back but now CEL won't go off and as stated before, I can't get into diagnostic mode to clean it (disconnecting the battery didn't work either, and yes I know a scanner is the answer, but I don't have it and was trying more with DIY options)

After I plugged the MAF back every time I accelerate the car, it dies (this was not happening such regularly before) I installed a new replacement MAF (not genuine though) but car behaves the same...

Would a bad MAF cause all these issues? Do only genuine MAFs work on these engines? Do I need to reset the ECU before installing a new sensor?

Any input is more than welcome!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Weird issue with throttle

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 am

Yes, a scan tool would be helpful and may be necessary to diagnose your problem. I would suspect a possible bad throttle actuator assembly or accelerator pedal position sensor.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”