Rear door cannot open

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

Rear door cannot open

Postby labsy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:41 am

Hi,

well, I've done some stupidity, as we all need to do from time to time :)
Rear right door did not want to open from OUTSIDE and stupidly enough, I opened them from inside and thought, well, maybe the "children lock" somehow engaged. And I switched the children lock switcher to another position.
And I closed the door...awwwwwww, as they shut closed, I hissed long "Fuc**!!!#$&#!"

Of course, now I cannot open door neither from inside (children lock ON), neither from outside (something broke obviously). :? :lol:
Any idea how to disassemble or open doors intestines while they are closed?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Rear door cannot open

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 pm

The R51 Pathfinders that were built in the plant in Spain have had a lot of issues with the exterior, rear door handles breaking, which sounds like what happened to yours. With the interior handle disabled, it makes it really hard to get the door open outside of removing the interior door panel. This is hard to do without damaging the rear door panel, but may be your only choice. Get the bottom, rear seat cushion out of the way and do your best to get the panel off without damage. That's not really a lot of help, I know, but that's the only way I know for you to get the door open at this point.

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 am

Thank you very much, I was afraid there's not other option, but to minimize the damage just the way you described.

What is weird is that rear right doors I almost NEVER opened, maybe once a month when washing the vehicle. Maybe door handle just felt asleep of doing nothing... :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:51 pm

The funny thing is that for all of the broken, rear door handles that I have heard of on Spain-built R51 Pathfinders, it's almost unheard of in North America. Although, I'd rather we had gotten cursed with the door handle issues than the leaking, radiator internal transmission cooler issues that we have over here!

labsy

Postby labsy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Ufff...today I desperatelly needed rear doors to open so I invaded the door gasket in the height of inside door handels, and easily pulled it out from where the lock is. No problem.
then with a help of plastic ruler and comparing to the other open doors, I managed to revert "child lock" knob back to OFF position with doors closed! Yeeeeah, now I can open at least from inside :)

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 pm

labsy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm
Ufff...today I desperatelly needed rear doors to open so I invaded the door gasket in the height of inside door handels, and easily pulled it out from where the lock is. No problem.
then with a help of plastic ruler and comparing to the other open doors, I managed to revert "child lock" knob back to OFF position with doors closed! Yeeeeah, now I can open at least from inside :)
Glad to hear it! :D

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”