Any shocks other than Bilstein 4600 GTG with Moog springs?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Any shocks other than Bilstein 4600 GTG with Moog springs?

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pm

I intend to run the slightly-stiffer-than-stock Moog springs.
But I may not have time to get Bilstein 4600 shipped to me in time for my appointment at the shop.

Are there any other rear shocks that would also be suitable for pairing with the Moogs and are good quality but common enough so that they are likely to be available to a shop in a smallish town for same day delivery?

I am getting antsy to have the vehicle suspension operating at 100% ASAP.

How about the front struts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Any shocks other than Bilstein 4600 GTG with Moog springs?

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:12 am

The only other rear shock I would consider, personally, would be the KYB Gas-a-just shocks, which are an upgrade over the "factory stock-similar" KYB Excel-G shocks. Both are a monotube design shock absorber.

I've always been happy with the factory-installed, front struts, which are also very similar, if not the same, as the KYB Excel-G. Some have gone with the Bilstein 4600 front struts, some liking them and some saying they were a bit too firm for their liking. The Bilsteins are available in a quick-strut, so the coil spring and mount will need to be transferred from the original strut. Sometimes that can run into problems do to people not knowledgeable about the hardware differences in the strut kit in relation to the parts on the original strut (this is the same for the KYB strut kits). I've always preferred to go the quick-strut route, personally. Going that way, you get a new strut, coil spring, mount, boot and hardware for about the same price as you would if you purchased all of those parts individually, but it comes already assembled and ready to install. I went with a Moog quick-strut assembly on my 2008 V6 Pathy and was very happy with it; KYB Strut-plus, if available, is also a good option. It all depends on what you are looking for in ride and performance. There are lots of gravel and dirt roads and bumpy roads where I live and the stock-replacement, front struts do fine for me.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:19 am

Thanks!

I will give the KYB Gas-a-just shocks as an alternative to the bilstein 4600 then. :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am

I have the Bilstein 4600 on the rear of my 2006 and KYB Gas-a-just on my 2008; I really don't notice any difference between them.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Yep, KYB would be my only alternative shock that I'd install on any of my vehicles. On my 2002 Frontier, I did recently go from KYB Gas-A-Just to Bilstein 4600 in the front and I can definitely tell the ride is more firm. Almost seems like the KYB actually absorbed the bumps and dips better than the Bilstein also. I'll have to swap out the rears this spring also and see how the truck does with it at 4 corners. I don't like having two different brands...even on my Pathfinder, once I get my rear camber situated, I'm going to be driving out to King Shocks and see if I can get some King shocks with reservoirs for the rear replacing OME.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”