Stereo Speaker Info Request

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

hfrez

Stereo Speaker Info Request

Postby hfrez » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Does anyone know what kind of speakers are in the base Pathy (6 disc changer version w/o Bose)? I know that there are 4 speakers and two tweeters. I was thinking of upgrading the speakers to improve the sound a bit. I have no clue as to what the base stereo system puts out or how many Watts the front/rear have from the factory. The service manual does not have any info and I cannot find any other info either. :oops:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:03 pm

If you are simply upgrading the speakers and keeping the rest of the system stock, you really don't need to know the wattage output of the system. Your speakers will be 4-ohm impedance speakers, which are what the majority of aftermarket speakers are (Bose system uses 1-ohm speakers). I've dealt a lot with Crutchfield.com over the years and highly recommend them. Prices are fair, service is great and their site will tell you what will fit and what won't. They also supply harness adapters, mounting brackets (as needed), instructions and lifetime free support with your purchase. Plus, they are fast to take care of any warranty replacements you may have on a component if it should fail and be covered.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks a bunch I have shopped with them in the past and like them for that very reason. I just wanted to know the output so that I don't over buy speakers. I was thinking of replacing the factory speakers with some moderate 3-way coaxial speakers front and back and possibly the tweeter in the door as well.

Any suggestions?

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:12 pm

hfrez wrote:Thanks a bunch I have shopped with them in the past and like them for that very reason. I just wanted to know the output so that I don't over buy speakers. I was thinking of replacing the factory speakers with some moderate 3-way coaxial speakers front and back and possibly the tweeter in the door as well.

Any suggestions?
I've gone with Infinity Kappa system in one previous vehicle and have Infinity Reference in my Jeep. No issues whatsoever. Also can recommend Crutchfield.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:27 pm

there's only two things you -really- need to worry about with the non-bose system:

1. like smj999smj said, that the speakers are 4ohm.

2. try to get the highest dB sensitivity you can. this number is basically how efficient the speaker is at converting the available wattage to the sound you hear. think of it as HP in a car, the higher the number the faster it moves. something that's at least 90dB will be great, and i think some infinity's go up to 92-93dB.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Well I took off the panel from the right rear door and wanted to see exactly what I'm dealing with. Turns out the rear door speaker is a 20W but 2ohm unit which uses a proprietary plug that not even Chrutchfield is able to supply. They suggest to just cut the wires and crimp on connectors.

Return to “R51 Electrical”