Tailgate and rear window won't open

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Ozphil

Postby Ozphil » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:42 am

Hi guys

2006 r51 st-l

Rear tailgate and tailgate window will not open. Key fob locks and unlocks all other doors ok.
Lock/unlock switch on the dash, locks and unlocks all the doors ok but tailgate and rear window still do not open.

Opened the fuse box but it's not clear which one (if any) relate to the tailgate.

Any help appreciated

Phil

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:35 pm

You will have to crawl back there from the middle doors. There should be an access cover on the back door on the inside. Sounds like something has disconnected.

Ozphil

Postby Ozphil » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Hmmm this is a bit embarrassing.
Multimetered all the fuses-all good.
Spent an hour trying to find some sort of inspection hatch (there isn't one)
Trying to see where the wiring routes and find a dodgy connection.
took various bits of trim off and shied away from other bits as it looked like the plastic push clips would break if I forced them.
Put the car back together frustrated and resigning myself to a trip to a dealer (oh no there goes $150+ I don't have)

Played around with the remote (yep I can definitely feel the locks opening and closing on the tailgate, so why the hell can't I open the damn door)

Resorted to frustrated cave man mode and gave the tailgate a good few smacks.... Hey presto it opened.

There , jammed in between the Door and the sill is a plastic rod cover. Small enough to let me close the tailgate and give the impression it is closed fully big enough to prevent the locking mechanism from disengaging properly.

doh!!!!!

Aah well, no harm done and I still have all my money.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Good to hear you figured it out prior to taking it in to the dealership.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”