Yet another timing belt question

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

63ronin

Yet another timing belt question

Postby 63ronin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi All:

I have a '97 Pathfinder. 160,000 miles. Never had the timing belt changed. Figure I need to do this sooner rather than later. I'll be doing the work my self... I mean, how hard can it be (that's a joke - I do have some aptitude for this sort of thing)

So the question... lots of timing belt, water pump kits listed on e-bay (probably amazon as well). Any idea if the more - uh - cost effective offerings are of questionable quality? Any real benefit to sticking with actual Nissan components. Don't need my Pathfinder to last forever. Just a few more years.

I'll be looking at shocks and struts after the timing belt. Looks like the KYB offerings are the preferred choice on that front (or back depending on which end of the car you're working on). :D

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 pm

I've done a lot of VG timing belts. These days I use the "Gates Timing Belt Component Kit w/ Water Pump" which I pick up from Rockauto.com. It comes with the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley and mileage sticker. The usually use Koyo pulleys, which are the original equipment supplier to most Asian makes. Drive belts I usually stick with genuine Nissan or Bando, which is also an original equipment supplier to Nissan. If you replace the hoses, especially the bypass hose, I stick with genuine Nissan. I also prefer Nissan cam and crank seals, but most aftermarket seals, like National and Timken, will do the job just fine. I also stick with genuine Nissan thermostats, I believe on the 97 you have to discharge the A/C system as the A/C line runs right in front of the timing cover (and, of course, recharge the system afterwards).

KYB is a good choice for struts and shocks; they are an original equipment supplier to Nissan, as well. The Excel/G2's are very similar to the original equipment; the Gas-a-justs are a monotube design and a step up over the G2's. Some prefer Bilsteins, which are also a good choice.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”