Noisy blower fan

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

Noisy blower fan

Postby Zen_master » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Driving an '11 V8 LE with dual (actually tri) climate control (front left, front right, and read). For as sound and tight of a finish as this vehicle has the blower fan seems to be louder than I would expect. It is not a wind rushing sound as is audible in other cars I've owned when set to high fan speed. Instead the sound is more of a high pitch whine coming from the passenger kick panel area.

Does anyone else have the dual climate control and experiencing a loud blower motor? Trying to diagnose if it is specifically my vehicle or if the blower is just loud in these things.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 am

Have you changed the cabin filters or checked out that area? I do still get a whine from mine on the two highest settings but it did quiet down after changing the filters. Mine was in really bad shape!

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:05 pm

skinny2 wrote:Have you changed the cabin filters or checked out that area? I do still get a whine from mine on the two highest settings but it did quiet down after changing the filters. Mine was in really bad shape!
I did recently change the cabin filters within the last month and while there was a heavy amount of debris (twigs, bugs, etc) it wasn't as bad as some of the photos others have posted on here.

As for the whine, the blower motor whined about the same now as before changing the cabin air filters.

One thing of note, it does seem that I tend to get a more audible whine from the blower motor when it first kicks on and the heater coil is still maybe not fully warm. With that being said, it's inconsistent. I wish I could say it only whines when it's cold and it gets quiet when it's warmed up but that is not the case. I just tend to notice it more when it's cold. Some days the blower fan doesn't whine as bad as others. the audibility is frustratingly irregular with a slight nod to more audible when it's cold/first start up.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:20 pm

On low, my Pathfinder and my in-laws' Frontier's blower motors sound a little like a card stuck in a bicycle wheel. It's not so loud that it's bothersome but it is there. I test drove one a while back that sounded the same way.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:22 pm

You might try removing the blower motor and see if any debris from when you changed the cabin air filter fell into the blower wheel and is now causing the noise you hear.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm

DanJetta wrote:On low, my Pathfinder and my in-laws' Frontier's blower motors sound a little like a card stuck in a bicycle wheel. It's not so loud that it's bothersome but it is there. I test drove one a while back that sounded the same way.
Yea, it does sound like there is a bit of a cyclical tick to it on the lower half of the fan speeds. At high fan speed the sound of rushing air drowns out any whine or ticking sound. To be clear, the tick is very faint and sometimes is not audible over the whine.

If you're experiencing it then perhaps it's just how these things are made. Sucks but if it's nothing unusual I can live with it. Certainly wanted to make sure I wasn't on the cusp of having a blower motor go out with the temps dipping to -16 one night earlier this week.

volvite wrote:You might try removing the blower motor and see if any debris from when you changed the cabin air filter fell into the blower wheel and is now causing the noise you hear.
To clarify. The noise level is about the same both before and after the filter change.

Return to “R51 Electrical”