GT HID Conversion?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

djyamyam

GT HID Conversion?

Postby djyamyam » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:48 pm

I did a search but haven't seen any info on these.

I just got my 05 PF and am in the process of starting on my mods. We do a fair bit of highway driving with our PF and want some better lights. We've done the Silvannas before. However, when I was talking to the owner of the aftermarket shop I go to, I was told there were HIDs available for it. He gave me a brocure on these GT HIDs - http://www.gthid.ca/products.html. Has anyone heard or tried these out? I'm thinking of giving it a try. He showed me a kit that he had in the store, which had the ballasts, etc. They would be about $550 installed. The other option would have been to install a bullbar and put on some Hellas etc.

What have folks here heard?

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Welcome to the forum DJ. I talked to Brendan at GT and he recommended the Hi/Low system with 9007 bulbs, $350 installed for the PF. Which system were you looking at.

djyamyam

Postby djyamyam » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:58 pm

Greybrick wrote:Welcome to the forum DJ. I talked to Brendan at GT and he recommended the Hi/Low system with 9007 bulbs, $350 installed for the PF. Which system were you looking at.

The system sounds like the same. Where'd you find the $350 price? My local shop gave me $550 price installed. I like yours better!

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:00 pm

djyamyam wrote:The system sounds like the same. Where'd you find the $350 price? My local shop gave me $550 price installed. I like yours better!
Brendan Harris
+1.403.606.3557
[email protected]
Toll Free ph / fax: 1.888.582.2942

http://www.gthid.ca/contact.html

These look like fairly good lights.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 am

I honestly have no idea about the system you are looking at... but, DONT just buy HID replacement bulbs and put them in your stock housing. The reflectors in the US model PF (Canada too, I believe) are designed to use halogen bulbs. Putting a HID bulb in a halogen reflector does not give you the focused intense output of true HID system. The HID bulb is generally longer than the halogen bulb and the result is that the halogen reflectors scatter the light every which way. Some of the light goes where you want it (on the road ahead), but a lot of it scatters every direction other than forward (well none goes backwards :P ).

If you have ever seen anyone driving around with "HID" lights on a piece of sh!t car (that would have never come with factory HID lights) you can see what I mean... they look like they are driving with their brights on because their headlight beams are scattered so bad...

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now...

~mike

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 am

There's no sense in spending $300-$500 on HID bulbs to put into the halogen reflector headlight. If thats the route you want to go, then I know a good seller on ebay that will sell you the kit for $75. Just plug and play, install your ballast and you got your bright blue lights..
But like moneymike said that whole set-up is the wrong way to go. If your spending several hundred $'s then buy the projector headlights and the hid bulbs and go that route. I'm leaning towards getting a bull bar or something and put some bright lights on it that I can turn off and on.

JK

Postby JK » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 am

HI Guys

Check out the following lights:

http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/HID.pdf

If you want HID then these are quite simply the only way to go...

Australian designed and made!

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:52 am

JK wrote:HI Guys
+1 on the lightforce products.

anyone know a US cost on those?

~mike

bigmac

Postby bigmac » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:04 pm

just go on ebay and buy the low beam HID's. I got a set for my headlights and fogs and it cost me $75.00 a set. I wouldn't recommend the HI/LO because 1. they're to expensive 2. they always break from switching to HI/LO.

Good luck!

djyamyam

Postby djyamyam » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 pm

JK wrote:HI Guys

They look good but they're not street legal. I'm trying to improve regular highway driving.

djyamyam

Postby djyamyam » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 pm

macbell7 wrote:There's no sense in spending $300-$500 on HID bulbs to put into the halogen reflector headlight. If thats the route you want to go, then I know a good seller on ebay that will sell you the kit for $75. Just plug and play, install your ballast and you got your bright blue lights..
But like moneymike said that whole set-up is the wrong way to go. If your spending several hundred $'s then buy the projector headlights and the hid bulbs and go that route. I'm leaning towards getting a bull bar or something and put some bright lights on it that I can turn off and on.
Thanks to you and Monkeymike for the additional info. Where would I find projector headlights? How much would those be with the ballasts compared to bull bar + additional lights? I was originally thinking of going that way but trying to keep them street legal for highway driving is the challenge.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:37 pm

djyamyam wrote: Where would I find projector headlights? How much would those be with the ballasts compared to bull bar + additional lights.
GT-HID has projector lights as well, I did't ask the cost and Brendan said they were for self modification/installation;

http://www.gthid.ca/gallery.html

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:32 am

djyamyam wrote:Thanks to you and Monkeymike for the additional info. Where would I find projector headlights? How much would those be with the ballasts compared to bull bar + additional lights? I was originally thinking of going that way but trying to keep them street legal for highway driving is the challenge.
Note, I have never dealt with any of these "companies", but most of the projects i have read online source their equipment from these sites.

hidplanet.com
hidtech.com

most places will sell audi bi-xenon headlights. they are generally considered the best, cost-effective solution.

note 2, you will have to do fabrication work to get these to fit into the headlight housings. this is definately NOT a simple drop-in project.

~mike

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:26 am

I have had some cheap ebay brand HIDs in my stock headlights for about 6 months... I just aimed them down a tick and was good to go. Had lots of people drive in front of and next to me (as well as riding next to it while somebody else was driving the PF) and always asked them about the glare and none of them had anything bad to say.

Only bad thing about the cheap lights is lack of highbeams. Logevity might suffer as well, but I can't really comment on that.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”